Feb 12, 2013, 6:15 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points like you love Girl Scout thin mint cookies.
• Charles Barkley says that Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson can’t really play together. Your first reaction to that is probably like mine — they’re doing a pretty good job this year. When Curry and Thompson are on the court together this season the Warriors are +2.6 per 48 minutes over their opponents. Their offense is improved from the team average and while the team defense is a little worse the Warriors are 2.4 points per 100 possessions better than their opponent. But CSNBayArea.com’s Matt Steinments agrees with Barkley — no they are not terrible together but how good can they really be? Can the Warriors really thrive — and by thrive I mean improve, someday challenge the Thunder — with two pure shooters on the back line? Do they need a more traditional playmaker?
• I was on the ProBasketballDraft.com podcast this week talking top teams in the game, trade rumors and a little bit of everything NBA. Check it out.
• Stan Van Gundy was on CNN, on a roundtable talking about matters of actual importance (meaning not basketball). He comes off pretty well. Thanks to Orlando Magic Daily for the heads up.
• Kobe Bryant says NBA stars need to take a bigger role in the players union. He may have been channeling Derek Fisher at the time.
• A great breakdown of how Metta World Peace‘s shooting problems could be symptomatic of other big problems for the Lakers. Because they need more of those.
• Remember the Pistons fan in the Tayshaun Prince jersey who was frustrated the night of the trade sending Prince to Memphis, and he took the jersey off (and said move was all over ESPN)? Well, the Grizzlies brought him down and he got to meet Prince.
• A report the Heat have pulled out of their pursuit of Greg Oden. Which really just means they realized the Cavaliers are going to win the race for him.
• In case you missed it, Miami’s LeBron James and the Oklahoma City’s Russell Westbrook were named Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week. James was a no brainer, he averaged 31.3 points on .738 shooting plus had 6.5 rebounds and 5.8 assists per game. He’s been on amazing streak, even for James. Westbrook averaged 21.8 points, 6.0 assists, 3.3 steals and 3.0 rebounds a game.
• Dennis Rodman talks children’s books and how to build a team to win a ring.
Oct 22, 2014, 12:10 AM EDT
Combining the NBA and 90210? Brilliant.
Oct 21, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
It’s better to be lucky than good.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
A hit job on Kobe Bryant by a major media outlet is drawing plenty of criticism.
Sixers’ K.J. McDaniels with a two-handed rejection, has more preseason blocks than Anthony Davis (VIDEO)
Oct 21, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
McDaniels has amassed 14 blocked shots this preseason — more than guys like DeAndre Jordan and Anthony Davis.
Oct 21, 2014, 7:35 PM EDT
Solid big men get overpaid consistently and have for many years. In light of that fact, this deal is just fine.
Oct 21, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
Kirk Hinrich will get the start.
Oct 21, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
James Harden’s defense isn’t as bad as some people say… but it’s not good.
Oct 21, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
It’s possible, but not likely, that Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov will buy the rest of the building.
Oct 21, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
The Lakers defense makes them lottery locks.
Oct 21, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Philadelphia, Oklahoma City and Milwaukee still need five more teams to join their side
Oct 21, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Watch after the draft lottery next year when a team like the Lakers, Celtics or Knicks jumps way up the board so they can draft a young star and some smaller market owners cry it’s unfair.
Oct 21, 2014, 2:07 PM EDT
The only precedent for LeBron, Kevin Love and Kyrie Irving? LeBron, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh
Oct 21, 2014, 1:35 PM EDT
Iman Shumpert is wearing a hat with a clock on it. That is all.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT
Center played just five games last season
Oct 21, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT
Chicago point guard still clearly has respect of teammates
Oct 21, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
New Orleans adds its missing link in Omer Asik
Oct 21, 2014, 11:14 AM EDT
Expect him to be out until mid- to late December.
Oct 21, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
They’re not as good as Mark Cuban thinks they are, but they are improved.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
Projecting Cleveland’s win total based on its minute distribution against the Bulls
Oct 21, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT
Celtics waived Lucas during offseason that saw him traded twice
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 6
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 10
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 18
- LeBron James and his difficult-to-assess super teams 27
- Kevin Durant on return: “I’m not going to rush it all” 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Dallas Mavericks 6
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 36
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 90