Feb 12, 2013, 2:19 PM EDT
Connor Bird, the son of former Celtic and Hall of Fame player Larry Bird was arrested on Sunday at Indiana University for allegedly trying to run over his ex-girlfriend with a car, according to a report from the Associated Press.
Connor Bird, 21 years old, is facing a host of charges related to the incident, including battery with injury, criminal mischief, intimidation with a deadly weapon and possession of marijuana.
Here are the not-so-pleasant details, from Bill McCleery of the Indianapolis Star:
Trouble began, police said, after Bird and the ex-girlfriend got into a dispute Sunday at Bird’s Bloomington apartment. Bird threw a cell phone at the female, police said.
Later, police said, Bird waited at his ex-girlfriend’s home and took her to a parking lot to talk things over. There, however, they got into another fight, police said, and the girl got out of Bird’s car with the intent of walking back to her home. That’s when, police said, Bird twice tried to hit the woman with his car. Another IU student witnessed the incident, police said, and took the female to the Indiana University Police Department.
Bird has been released on bond, and while his attorney, John L. Tompkins, wouldn’t comment on the charges, he did give a brief statement to the Star.
“This is a very private matter that we’re going to try to resolve quickly,” he said. “We’re thankful that no one was seriously injured.”
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 7
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 8
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 42
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11