Feb 12, 2013, 2:19 PM EDT
Connor Bird, the son of former Celtic and Hall of Fame player Larry Bird was arrested on Sunday at Indiana University for allegedly trying to run over his ex-girlfriend with a car, according to a report from the Associated Press.
Connor Bird, 21 years old, is facing a host of charges related to the incident, including battery with injury, criminal mischief, intimidation with a deadly weapon and possession of marijuana.
Here are the not-so-pleasant details, from Bill McCleery of the Indianapolis Star:
Trouble began, police said, after Bird and the ex-girlfriend got into a dispute Sunday at Bird’s Bloomington apartment. Bird threw a cell phone at the female, police said.
Later, police said, Bird waited at his ex-girlfriend’s home and took her to a parking lot to talk things over. There, however, they got into another fight, police said, and the girl got out of Bird’s car with the intent of walking back to her home. That’s when, police said, Bird twice tried to hit the woman with his car. Another IU student witnessed the incident, police said, and took the female to the Indiana University Police Department.
Bird has been released on bond, and while his attorney, John L. Tompkins, wouldn’t comment on the charges, he did give a brief statement to the Star.
“This is a very private matter that we’re going to try to resolve quickly,” he said. “We’re thankful that no one was seriously injured.”
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 5
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 11
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 36