Feb 12, 2013, 2:19 PM EST
Connor Bird, the son of former Celtic and Hall of Fame player Larry Bird was arrested on Sunday at Indiana University for allegedly trying to run over his ex-girlfriend with a car, according to a report from the Associated Press.
Connor Bird, 21 years old, is facing a host of charges related to the incident, including battery with injury, criminal mischief, intimidation with a deadly weapon and possession of marijuana.
Here are the not-so-pleasant details, from Bill McCleery of the Indianapolis Star:
Trouble began, police said, after Bird and the ex-girlfriend got into a dispute Sunday at Bird’s Bloomington apartment. Bird threw a cell phone at the female, police said.
Later, police said, Bird waited at his ex-girlfriend’s home and took her to a parking lot to talk things over. There, however, they got into another fight, police said, and the girl got out of Bird’s car with the intent of walking back to her home. That’s when, police said, Bird twice tried to hit the woman with his car. Another IU student witnessed the incident, police said, and took the female to the Indiana University Police Department.
Bird has been released on bond, and while his attorney, John L. Tompkins, wouldn’t comment on the charges, he did give a brief statement to the Star.
“This is a very private matter that we’re going to try to resolve quickly,” he said. “We’re thankful that no one was seriously injured.”
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 9
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 24
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 4
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 7
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 5
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 6
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 3
- Reports: Kings at Knicks, Trail Blazers at Nets games Monday postponed due to coming storm 11