Feb 12, 2013, 2:19 PM EDT
Connor Bird, the son of former Celtic and Hall of Fame player Larry Bird was arrested on Sunday at Indiana University for allegedly trying to run over his ex-girlfriend with a car, according to a report from the Associated Press.
Connor Bird, 21 years old, is facing a host of charges related to the incident, including battery with injury, criminal mischief, intimidation with a deadly weapon and possession of marijuana.
Here are the not-so-pleasant details, from Bill McCleery of the Indianapolis Star:
Trouble began, police said, after Bird and the ex-girlfriend got into a dispute Sunday at Bird’s Bloomington apartment. Bird threw a cell phone at the female, police said.
Later, police said, Bird waited at his ex-girlfriend’s home and took her to a parking lot to talk things over. There, however, they got into another fight, police said, and the girl got out of Bird’s car with the intent of walking back to her home. That’s when, police said, Bird twice tried to hit the woman with his car. Another IU student witnessed the incident, police said, and took the female to the Indiana University Police Department.
Bird has been released on bond, and while his attorney, John L. Tompkins, wouldn’t comment on the charges, he did give a brief statement to the Star.
“This is a very private matter that we’re going to try to resolve quickly,” he said. “We’re thankful that no one was seriously injured.”
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 22
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 8
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 19
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 21
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26