Royce White has reported for duty in the D-League

Feb 12, 2013, 4:43 PM EDT

Royce White AP

Royce White’s road to the NBA has started to take hold in the NBA it appears — after working out his issues with the Rockets over how they will work with his anxiety disorder, he has reported to the D-League and gone through a couple of practices.

He told the Associated Press he is ready to get his career started with games for Rio Grand soon.

White said Tuesday that he’s been “right on the verge of coming back the whole time.” He says he’s “not really nervous,” despite more than two months away from the team.

White has been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder and the Rockets knew that when they drafted him. However, the process of how to deal with that became a challenge for both sides — White wanted certain protocols put into place to provide what he considers to be a safe environment for him to pursue his NBA career.

White didn’t make the process easier or endear himself to many Rockets fans by ranting on Twitter against the organization.

A deal was worked out Jan. 26. White should be playing in the D-League soon, but there is no timetable for him to be called up to the NBA.

1. hodaghunter - Feb 12, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I wish him the best of luck in this. I can’t image being in his situation but I’m rooting for him to succeed.

• dacapt704 - Feb 12, 2013 at 5:41 PM

I guess that thumbs down guy was born perfect..no one ever gets a 2nd chance in their book! SMH @ some ppl…this is a kid with issues, lets wish him the best even if it doesnt include the NBA in his future.

• dacapt704 - Feb 12, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Only 15 thumbs down? Come on…u guys can do better than that! LOL…still SMH @ ppl

2. nagidac - Feb 12, 2013 at 6:10 PM

While I don’t agree with the way he handled this situation, I truly hope that he can overcome his fears and be a successful player in the NBA someday.

3. deavn - Feb 12, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Hopefully this can be a stepping stone in his career. I don’t care for his sob story. I was concerned at first until I realized that he was just acting like a baby. This man is getting paid millions to dribble a ball and I expect him to fulfill that obligation. Get over your fear and don’t let it consume you.

4. bjtodd - Feb 12, 2013 at 10:56 PM

7 points 8 boars 4assists in 18 minutes, not bad. If he can get over the mental side, he can be nasty

• genericcommenter - Feb 13, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I’ve always felt that pulling down boars was an underrated skill.

5. thekingdave - Feb 13, 2013 at 12:13 AM

@dacapt704 (what the hell kind of username is that?)

A) you’re fretting over how many “thumbs down” are given by anonymous people on a blog
    B) you sound like a 12 year old girl by using the “SMH” acronym
    C) furthermore, did you literally “shake your head” twice? Was it so emphatic that you “shook your damn head”? Does your neck hurt now?
    D) I live in Houston and have followed this closely, Royce White is a narcissistic dope. He weakens the credibility of people with actual mental issues, which is unfair to them and a shame. Do you think the Rockets “magically” changed their terms the day after White’s special on HBO? What a coincidence! Royce milked it for as long as he could.

• genericcommenter - Feb 13, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Sometimes looking at someone and determining for yourself that he doesn’t have “actual mental issues” is unfair to people with actual mental issues. Besides, your other assertions about him DO point to mental issues, but perhaps of a different kind.

I know for a fact that anxiety issues can manifest in ways that don’t seem logically related, and the worst problems can be effects that are only indirectly caused. I have a specific type of anxiety disorders and I have other problems because of it. I’m sure if most people looked at the end problems they would probably say “Well, what does THAT have to do with —— anxiety?” and their question would seem reasonable.

That said, I’ve gotta go out and face mine tonight for zero pay, with the hopes that if I keep pushing through I will be able to break through to a basic level of human dignity, let alone anywhere close to my potential.

6. louhudson23 - Feb 13, 2013 at 8:31 AM

I still get the idea that Royce White believes that the Rockets are somehow beholden to him and his difficulties. Reality is that at some point,the Rockets may indeed determine that dealing with he and his issue is simply not worth the trouble, balanced against the return. Just like me and every other person not currently on the Rockets roster. My play in return for a paycheck is not a worthwhile endeavor for them or anyone else that I personally know. When and if the Rockets determine that Royce White cannot play the game,then they will let him go and he can join the many other millions who are not professional ballplayers,or keep trying till he can play. I believe his problems are very real and I hope sincerely he is able to deal with them and achieve his desire of playing in the NBA. But if he can’t,then he can’t. I wish him the best of luck in life,with or without basketball.

7. scalfor3 - Feb 13, 2013 at 4:41 PM

If this kid ever puts it together, watch out. Dude is a baller.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches