Feb 12, 2013, 7:22 PM EDT
The San Antonio Spurs are clearly in the market for another big man — they realize if they are going to go up against the Thunder, Clippers and Grizzlies in the playoffs an improved front line will be key.
Now comes this note that the Spurs have been talking to Atlanta, too, from Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports (part of his weekly power rankings).
The Spurs are among the teams with interest in Hawks forward Josh Smith, a source told Yahoo! Sports. Keep in mind, Hawks general manager Danny Ferry was previously with the Spurs.
How would that work? The Hawks are not going to take on a lot of bad contracts, but they might take on Stephen Jackson and his $10 million expiring contract. But that is the money, now what are you going to give the Hawks that they want for the future? It’s going to have to be someone like Kawhi Leonard plus a young point guard and/or a pick. And that may not be enough.
For the Spurs, Utah’s Jefferson is a better fit right now and likely can be re-signed for less. Smith is more athletic and more talented for sure, he makes them potentially much better, but he also brings a penchant for long jumpers that will drive Gregg Popovich to start drinking whisky instead of wine.
We’ll see if these deals move any closer to reality, but one thing is clear and that is the Spurs are looking to add a piece along the front lines. That comes with risk for a 41-12 team, but they are thinking about the postseason.
- Report: Knicks, Phil Jackson have deal in principle for him to oversee basketball operations 0
- Kevin Durant scores 42, Thunder win a chippy one over Rockets 5
- Report: Lakers to officially declare Kobe Bryant out for the season 13
- Suns’ P.J. Tucker suspended one game for blow to head of Blake Griffin 9
- Vogel: Andrew Bynum to play for Indiana Pacers Tuesday night 14