Feb 12, 2013, 7:22 PM EDT
The San Antonio Spurs are clearly in the market for another big man — they realize if they are going to go up against the Thunder, Clippers and Grizzlies in the playoffs an improved front line will be key.
Now comes this note that the Spurs have been talking to Atlanta, too, from Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports (part of his weekly power rankings).
The Spurs are among the teams with interest in Hawks forward Josh Smith, a source told Yahoo! Sports. Keep in mind, Hawks general manager Danny Ferry was previously with the Spurs.
How would that work? The Hawks are not going to take on a lot of bad contracts, but they might take on Stephen Jackson and his $10 million expiring contract. But that is the money, now what are you going to give the Hawks that they want for the future? It’s going to have to be someone like Kawhi Leonard plus a young point guard and/or a pick. And that may not be enough.
For the Spurs, Utah’s Jefferson is a better fit right now and likely can be re-signed for less. Smith is more athletic and more talented for sure, he makes them potentially much better, but he also brings a penchant for long jumpers that will drive Gregg Popovich to start drinking whisky instead of wine.
We’ll see if these deals move any closer to reality, but one thing is clear and that is the Spurs are looking to add a piece along the front lines. That comes with risk for a 41-12 team, but they are thinking about the postseason.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 33
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 67
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 3
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31