Feb 12, 2013, 7:22 PM EDT
The San Antonio Spurs are clearly in the market for another big man — they realize if they are going to go up against the Thunder, Clippers and Grizzlies in the playoffs an improved front line will be key.
Now comes this note that the Spurs have been talking to Atlanta, too, from Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports (part of his weekly power rankings).
The Spurs are among the teams with interest in Hawks forward Josh Smith, a source told Yahoo! Sports. Keep in mind, Hawks general manager Danny Ferry was previously with the Spurs.
How would that work? The Hawks are not going to take on a lot of bad contracts, but they might take on Stephen Jackson and his $10 million expiring contract. But that is the money, now what are you going to give the Hawks that they want for the future? It’s going to have to be someone like Kawhi Leonard plus a young point guard and/or a pick. And that may not be enough.
For the Spurs, Utah’s Jefferson is a better fit right now and likely can be re-signed for less. Smith is more athletic and more talented for sure, he makes them potentially much better, but he also brings a penchant for long jumpers that will drive Gregg Popovich to start drinking whisky instead of wine.
We’ll see if these deals move any closer to reality, but one thing is clear and that is the Spurs are looking to add a piece along the front lines. That comes with risk for a 41-12 team, but they are thinking about the postseason.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 13
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 21
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 31
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 24
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2