Feb 12, 2013, 7:22 PM EDT
The San Antonio Spurs are clearly in the market for another big man — they realize if they are going to go up against the Thunder, Clippers and Grizzlies in the playoffs an improved front line will be key.
Now comes this note that the Spurs have been talking to Atlanta, too, from Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports (part of his weekly power rankings).
The Spurs are among the teams with interest in Hawks forward Josh Smith, a source told Yahoo! Sports. Keep in mind, Hawks general manager Danny Ferry was previously with the Spurs.
How would that work? The Hawks are not going to take on a lot of bad contracts, but they might take on Stephen Jackson and his $10 million expiring contract. But that is the money, now what are you going to give the Hawks that they want for the future? It’s going to have to be someone like Kawhi Leonard plus a young point guard and/or a pick. And that may not be enough.
For the Spurs, Utah’s Jefferson is a better fit right now and likely can be re-signed for less. Smith is more athletic and more talented for sure, he makes them potentially much better, but he also brings a penchant for long jumpers that will drive Gregg Popovich to start drinking whisky instead of wine.
We’ll see if these deals move any closer to reality, but one thing is clear and that is the Spurs are looking to add a piece along the front lines. That comes with risk for a 41-12 team, but they are thinking about the postseason.
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 0
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 2
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 3
- Spurs need overtime in Game 2 to beat Grizzlies, take a 2-0 series lead 2
- Cavaliers bask in another lottery victory 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- Play Video: Metta World Peace the weatherman
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars