Feb 12, 2013, 10:11 AM EST
Pau Gasol is out until likely the final weeks of the season with a torn plantar fascia of his right foot. They already have lost reserve big man Jordan Hill for the season to hip surgery. Dwight Howard is playing but having to battle through shoulder and back issues. Oh, and Robert Sacre is on the roster.
But don’t expect the Lakers to trade for or acquire for another big, reports Ramona Shelburne at ESPNLosAngeles.com.
The Los Angeles Lakers have no immediate plans to add a free agent big man to help fill in their suddenly depleted front court, a source told ESPNLosAngeles.com on Monday. The Lakers have been discussing their options since Pau Gasol suffered a tear in the plantar fascia of his right foot. The situation is still being evaluated, and much depends on how much Dwight Howard is able to contribute with his injured shoulder, but for now, the Lakers are sitting tight.
The Lakers don’t really have the assets to trade for a big man at the deadline — they have nothing Atlanta would want for Josh Smith, for example. Which would leave a free agent market where there is Kenyon Martin and Louis Amundson but nobody who will make a dramatic impact.
One bit of good news for the Lakers, Gasol will not have surgery on his foot reports the Los Angeles Times. He is still out for six to eight weeks but could return for the final weeks of the season and the playoffs. If the Lakers can climb into a playoff spot. Which they might need another big man to do.
- The Extra Pass: The shot that won’t fade away, and Thursday’s recaps 0
- Thursday night NBA Grades: Mike Woodson is allowed to exhale 4
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 5
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 6
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 5
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (39)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)