Feb 12, 2013, 10:11 AM EDT
Pau Gasol is out until likely the final weeks of the season with a torn plantar fascia of his right foot. They already have lost reserve big man Jordan Hill for the season to hip surgery. Dwight Howard is playing but having to battle through shoulder and back issues. Oh, and Robert Sacre is on the roster.
But don’t expect the Lakers to trade for or acquire for another big, reports Ramona Shelburne at ESPNLosAngeles.com.
The Los Angeles Lakers have no immediate plans to add a free agent big man to help fill in their suddenly depleted front court, a source told ESPNLosAngeles.com on Monday. The Lakers have been discussing their options since Pau Gasol suffered a tear in the plantar fascia of his right foot. The situation is still being evaluated, and much depends on how much Dwight Howard is able to contribute with his injured shoulder, but for now, the Lakers are sitting tight.
The Lakers don’t really have the assets to trade for a big man at the deadline — they have nothing Atlanta would want for Josh Smith, for example. Which would leave a free agent market where there is Kenyon Martin and Louis Amundson but nobody who will make a dramatic impact.
One bit of good news for the Lakers, Gasol will not have surgery on his foot reports the Los Angeles Times. He is still out for six to eight weeks but could return for the final weeks of the season and the playoffs. If the Lakers can climb into a playoff spot. Which they might need another big man to do.
- Spurs show they have too much offense for Grizzlies to handle in Game 1 destruction 0
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets 22
- Spurs would like to remind you they are very good, crush Grizzlies in Game 1 11
- LeBron takes offense to something that Pacers’ head coach Vogel didn’t actually say 43
- Thunder GM says team won’t amnesty Kendrick Perkins 27
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (82)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Live Extra: Watch live coverage of Penguins-Senators
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay