Feb 12, 2013, 10:11 AM EST
Pau Gasol is out until likely the final weeks of the season with a torn plantar fascia of his right foot. They already have lost reserve big man Jordan Hill for the season to hip surgery. Dwight Howard is playing but having to battle through shoulder and back issues. Oh, and Robert Sacre is on the roster.
But don’t expect the Lakers to trade for or acquire for another big, reports Ramona Shelburne at ESPNLosAngeles.com.
The Los Angeles Lakers have no immediate plans to add a free agent big man to help fill in their suddenly depleted front court, a source told ESPNLosAngeles.com on Monday. The Lakers have been discussing their options since Pau Gasol suffered a tear in the plantar fascia of his right foot. The situation is still being evaluated, and much depends on how much Dwight Howard is able to contribute with his injured shoulder, but for now, the Lakers are sitting tight.
The Lakers don’t really have the assets to trade for a big man at the deadline — they have nothing Atlanta would want for Josh Smith, for example. Which would leave a free agent market where there is Kenyon Martin and Louis Amundson but nobody who will make a dramatic impact.
One bit of good news for the Lakers, Gasol will not have surgery on his foot reports the Los Angeles Times. He is still out for six to eight weeks but could return for the final weeks of the season and the playoffs. If the Lakers can climb into a playoff spot. Which they might need another big man to do.
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 8
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 44
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 9
- Report: Magic close to firing Jacque Vaughn 17
- Three Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The All-Star Rosters need to be expanded 29
- One day after having surgery, Kobe Bryant came to see Pau Gasol 8
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 5