Feb 12, 2013, 10:48 AM EDT
The Nets are invested in Deron Williams. He was the first star they got, trading with the Utah Jazz in a surprise move before they had moved out of New Jersey. They worked hard to keep him and gave him a max contract. Now he’s finally got some healthy other stars around him such as All-Star Brook Lopez, but make no mistake Williams is the face of the franchise.
And he just hasn’t been that good this year.
He hasn’t been bad — he averages 16.7 points a game and has an above average PER of 17.9 — but he has not been the guy once mentioned in the same breath with Chris Paul as the best point guard in the game. He hasn’t been nearly as explosive and since coming to the Nets he hasn’t shot better than the 41.7 percent he has this season, while in Utah he was regularly above 45 percent.
Now Williams is out through All-Star weekend to rest inflammation in his ankles, and he got the blood-spinning PRP treatment (the Kobe knee treatment) on those ankles.
People are down on D-Will, but Nets’ GM Billy King had his back in an interview with the New York Daily News. Not that he really has a choice — King is the guy who put the max contract offer in front of Williams last summer.
“Am I confident he’s going to get back to being Deron Williams? Yes.”
What is he supposed to say?
“You’re digging. You’re digging. And you’re asking valid questions, but (the inflammation to Williams’ ankles) is not a concern,” King said. “Kobe’s had the blood-platelet spinning on his knees, and guys have had it. It happens. So let’s not make this a bigger issue than it is. Let’s let him get through this, have a week off and get back to playing basketball. Let’s not put the dirt on him and say his career’s over at 28.”
So what is King holding out for? That the Nets will get healthy at the right time and make a surprise playoff run.
“You get in the playoffs, you’ve got a chance,” he said. “I look at the Boston Celtics last year, they were buried and they got to the conference final. This year, they were buried and now they’ve won 7 in a row. …I think the goal for us is to get back to playing good basketball.”
The Celtics play great defense. And they were only the four seed last year, by the way.
But what else is King going to say?
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 40
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18