Kevin Durant says he may not attempt long shots to beat the buzzer if he’s having an off night statistically

Feb 12, 2013, 3:06 PM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v San Antonio Spurs - Game One

If you watch enough NBA basketball, you’ve seen it a million times.

With only a couple of seconds remaining on the clock, a player will receive an inbound pass, take a dribble or two, and launch a shot from beyond halfcourt just after time in the period expires and the final buzzer sounds.

In most cases, it’s not an accident.

Players who handle the ball in the majority of those situations often times make sure to wait until the low-percentage shot doesn’t count before launching it, because over the course of an 82-game season, those misses add up to the point where they can legitimately and adversely affect a player’s field goal percentage and three-point shooting numbers.

Kevin Durant is obviously a candidate for these types of shots, being the league’s leading scorer for the past three seasons and the Thunder’s best individual player. He admitted that he thinks about it before taking those halfcourt heaves, and will only do so if he’s having a good statistical night shooting.

From Royce Young of Daily Thunder:

How do Thunder players feel about the halfcourt heave? Should it be counted as an attempt? And do they pull the just-after-the-buzzer move? I asked some of them:

Kevin Durant: “It depends on what I’m shooting from the field. First quarter if I’m 4-for-4, I let it go. Third quarter if I’m like 10-for-16, or 10-for-17, I might let it go. But if I’m like 8-for-19, I’m going to go ahead and dribble one more second and let that buzzer go off and then throw it up there. So it depends on how the game’s going.”

We think of lower-tier players being more likely to pull this trick, especially ones who may be in a contract year where their statistics at the end of the season will, at least in part, directly translate into the amount of future dollars that will go into in their pocket.

Durant’s response was honest and refreshing, but if the game was on the line there’s no doubt at all that he’d hoist it the length of the court if it would give his team a chance to tie or win in the final seconds.

The response from Durant’s All-Star teammate, Russell Westbrook, was far more hilarious when asked if he hesitates in those situations.

“No. Nope … If I was considering about [statistics] I’d do a lot of s–t different,” he said.

Latest Posts
  1. One day after having surgery, Kobe Bryant came to see Pau Gasol

Jan 30, 2015, 2:48 AM EST

BKN-NBA-BULLS-LAKERS Getty Images

“I really appreciate him coming, I didn’t expect it at all.” —Pau Gasol

2. Report: Magic haven’t ruled out firing Jacque Vaughn in-season

Jan 29, 2015, 10:45 PM EST

Jacque Vaughn Jacque Vaughn

Management is displeased with their underperformance.

3. Lakers pass out “Thanks Pau” shirts, have video tribute for return of Gasol

Jan 29, 2015, 10:02 PM EST

Pau shirt front

“Don’t it always seem to go that you don’t know what you’ve got ‘til it’s gone.”

4. Report: NBA passes rule raising the bar for team ownership

Jan 29, 2015, 9:30 PM EST

2015 Throne Boxing 2015 Throne Boxing

The new rule is an attempt to curtail Jay Z-style figurehead owners.

5. The three biggest All-Star snubs in each conference

Jan 29, 2015, 8:00 PM EST

DeMarcus Cousins DeMarcus Cousins

Damian Lillard, Kyle Korver, DeMarcus Cousins and more.

6. James Harden, three Hawks players lead list of NBA All-Star Game reserves

Jan 29, 2015, 7:27 PM EST

Houston Rockets v Phoenix Suns Getty Images

DeMarcus Cousins and Damian Lillard were left off in the West.

7. Timberwolves troll Kevin Love in advance of his Saturday return with Cavaliers (VIDEO)

Jan 29, 2015, 6:42 PM EST

Kevin Love Kevin Love

A promotional video hyping the matchup features plenty of players, but Kevin Love is noticeably absent.

8. Report: OKC front office backs Scott Brooks, may look to trade Reggie Jackson

Jan 29, 2015, 4:39 PM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v Los Angeles Clippers - Game Six Getty Images

Brooks may last the season, but may not if Thunder miss the playoffs. Jackson, meanwhile, has been marginalized ever since Dion Waiters was acquired.

9. Dwyane Wade out indefinitely, says best case for his return is 2-3 weeks

Jan 29, 2015, 3:56 PM EST

Dwyane Wade AP

Wade may be selected as an All-Star reserve Thursday night, but wouldn’t play in the midseason exhibition if the timeline holds true.

10. Paul George, family discuss night of leg injury, recovery (VIDEO)

Jan 29, 2015, 3:25 PM EST

Indiana Pacers v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

“I looked down to see my legs, and I saw my bone. The second I saw my bone, I just lost it.”

11. Rising Stars Challenge jerseys have a twist (photos)

Jan 29, 2015, 2:02 PM EST

See Andrew Wiggins’, Shabazz Muhammad’s and Dante Exum’s

Who should be All-Star Game reserves?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches