Derrick Rose says he won’t return until he’s ‘110 percent’

Feb 12, 2013, 12:46 PM EDT

Derrick Rose AP

Basic math will tell you that there is no such thing as “110 percent,” a commonly used sports cliche.

After Derrick Rose used this term to describe when he’d be ready to return to the court from the devastating knee injury he suffered in the first game of the playoffs last April, Bulls fans have to be hoping that their team’s best player wasn’t being literal while uttering that statement.

From Jeff Zillgitt of USA Today:

“I don’t have a set date,” Rose told USA TODAY Sports on Monday in his first extensive interview since the 2012-13 NBA season began. “I’m not coming back until I’m 110%. Who knows when that can be? It can be within a couple of weeks. It could be next year. It could be any day. It could be any time. It’s just that I’m not coming back until I’m ready.”

How close is Rose to 110%?

“Right now, probably in the high 80s,” he said. “Far away. Far away.”

The Bulls have two All-Stars on their roster in Luol Deng and Joakim Noah, who earned that honor this season by guiding the team to a 30-21 record to this point, good enough to put Chicago a half-game out of third place in the Eastern Conference standings.

With the regular season success the Bulls have achieved, and considering the severity of the injury, there’s no reason at all for them to try and rush their franchise player back from injury before he’s fully ready — but he will need to come back at some point before that mythical “110 percent” level is ever reached.

1. robones - Feb 12, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Rose is very young and his long term career in the NBA is what’s more important. The bulls are doing find without him: of course, a weak Eastern Conference is also helping the Bulls.

2. tampajoey - Feb 12, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I can’t wait to see Rose back on the floor and I’m not even a Bulls fan.

3. andyhr17 - Feb 12, 2013 at 2:12 PM

So if he wakes up only feeling like “105%” he’ll stay home?

4. stadix093 - Feb 12, 2013 at 2:15 PM

I wish the entire NBA were like this guy. Hard working, humble and smart. He’s the anti Dwight Howard.

• albertmn - Feb 12, 2013 at 5:20 PM

He may be all of those things, but this particular statement from him sounds selfish. I may be able to help my team at 95%, but I am waiting until later, so that I don’t stand the chance that I might embarrass myself. I want to like Rose, but this statement doesn’t help.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 12, 2013 at 5:29 PM

He’s definately hard working and humble. I like the guy a lot. The NBA could certainly gain from having more players like him. But as far as smart…
      Didn’t dude have someone else take his SAT? And wasn’t it mailed from Detroit?
      Considering he is from Chicago…that isn’t real smart. LOL!
      But we all make dumb mistakes when we are young.
      I just can’t get past that SAT malfunction.

• jimeejohnson - Feb 13, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Probably your rignt wing narrow mindedness limiting your cognition.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 13, 2013 at 1:02 PM

LOL! Sooo….
        The thumbs downs indicates a lot of people are cool with the SAT debacle. Outstanding!

5. deavn - Feb 12, 2013 at 3:02 PM

D. Rose will come back healthy and ready to play. I want to see him just sit this whole season and be ready going into training camp next season. The Bulls know they’re not competing for a championship this year. I want Rose to be at his best when he plays again and he will if he plays it safe.

• lmoneyfresh - Feb 12, 2013 at 3:55 PM

If Rose comes back this season, even very late, the bulls will likely be in the playoffs and anything can happen from there. The team around him has only gotten better and will be less dependent. Stranger things have happened.

6. rodyaugu - Feb 12, 2013 at 3:22 PM

So he’ll never return then.

• andyhr17 - Feb 12, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Not until he overcomes the challenges of a torn ACL and the even bigger obstacle of math.

7. kelsey412 - Feb 12, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Wait a minute. There is no such thing as 100%

8. steelers4385 - Feb 12, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Just play you baby. Hes ready. Just loves the attention.

• lmoneyfresh - Feb 12, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Why am I not surprised that you’re a steelers fan with a comment like that?

9. joebone - Feb 12, 2013 at 4:03 PM

I suppose if he stayed in school a little longer he’d have a better handle on the math facts.

10. Flamo Inside Sports - Feb 12, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Reblogged this on Flamo Inside Sports and commented:
    Tornerà più forte di prima.

• shwoogy1 - Feb 12, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Go away flamer.

11. asublimeday - Feb 12, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Just play you baby. Hes ready. Just loves the attention.
    ——–
    Mike Shanahan?

12. Jeff - Feb 12, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Smart move.

13. aut1111 - Feb 12, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Rodman gave an interview to Chicago’s ESPN 1000 about this (and a bunch of other much more entertaining things) a couple of Fridays ago. This is why Rose will never be anything close to MJ in Chicago. He doesn’t want to play meaningless basketball and will guage the state of the team (and the Heat) before determining whether he will join them in the playoffs. He could probably play now, I don’t know for sure, but this is the not the attitude of a recovering athlete driven by competition. I doubt very seriously MJ would have said something like this, especially having exceeded the contemplated recovery period.

14. drago2012 - Feb 12, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Love Thibs comment on Roses return “he will be ready when he is ready”. It seems to me the way the Bulls were playing the last few games , Derric is coming back after the Allstar break. Lets just relax for a week or so, because the Superman is ready to jump and touch the rafters and bail our arses out!!!

15. muhast - Feb 12, 2013 at 11:05 PM

So he will never play again then.

16. purplekobra69 - Feb 13, 2013 at 10:20 AM

No such thing my friend.

• jimeejohnson - Feb 13, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Ever heard of “extra credit”?

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches