Feb 12, 2013, 11:16 AM EDT
A couple years ago DeJuan Blair was everybody’s favorite NBA players without any ACLs… well, he still is that as he is alone. But he was a regular part of the Spurs bigs rotation — 21 minutes a night, 8.3 points and 7 rebounds a game, he was considered a draft-day steal.
Now, Gregg Popovich rarely looks his way. Blair is out of the rotation.
Which means we shouldn’t be shocked he’s on the trade block as the Feb. 21 deadline approaches, something Chris Broussard of ESPN tweeted about.
It sounds like the Spurs are testing the market for Blair. Again.
Blair is a solid backup big around the paint — he can score on the block, is strong and energetic rebounder. Even this year, in a down year for him, he has a PER of 14.7 and most seasons he was above 17. He’s a solid man defender. There is value there.
However he can’t space the floor with any kind of midrange game — so your other big better be able to — and he’s not a great help defender against other bigs because 6’7” they can shoot over him still. Those limitations have him sitting behind guys like Tiago Splitter who can do both for the Spurs.
The Spurs shopped Blair around last summer but were asking a first round pick and nobody would give it up, partially because he is in the last year of his contract and will be an unrestricted free agent next summer. Not sure the Spurs can get much for him now (he may need to be packaged). We’ll see if he gets moved but it’s a name to watch.
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 26
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 38
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 9
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 6
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 2