Feb 12, 2013, 11:16 AM EDT
A couple years ago DeJuan Blair was everybody’s favorite NBA players without any ACLs… well, he still is that as he is alone. But he was a regular part of the Spurs bigs rotation — 21 minutes a night, 8.3 points and 7 rebounds a game, he was considered a draft-day steal.
Now, Gregg Popovich rarely looks his way. Blair is out of the rotation.
Which means we shouldn’t be shocked he’s on the trade block as the Feb. 21 deadline approaches, something Chris Broussard of ESPN tweeted about.
It sounds like the Spurs are testing the market for Blair. Again.
Blair is a solid backup big around the paint — he can score on the block, is strong and energetic rebounder. Even this year, in a down year for him, he has a PER of 14.7 and most seasons he was above 17. He’s a solid man defender. There is value there.
However he can’t space the floor with any kind of midrange game — so your other big better be able to — and he’s not a great help defender against other bigs because 6’7” they can shoot over him still. Those limitations have him sitting behind guys like Tiago Splitter who can do both for the Spurs.
The Spurs shopped Blair around last summer but were asking a first round pick and nobody would give it up, partially because he is in the last year of his contract and will be an unrestricted free agent next summer. Not sure the Spurs can get much for him now (he may need to be packaged). We’ll see if he gets moved but it’s a name to watch.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 5
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4