Warriors unveil tight-fitting alternate uniforms with sleeves

Feb 11, 2013, 3:01 PM EDT

Warriors New Uniforms

It looks… um, different.

And different often upsets people.

When the Golden State Warriors take the court Feb. 22 home game against the San Antonio Spurs they are going to break out their new alternate uniforms, which you see to the right — tighter fitting with sleeves.

The Warriors owners loved the idea breaking with tradition and going with sleeves — officially known as the “adizero NBA short sleeve uniform system” — if you take what their owner is selling. Bottom line is when the owners are on board, your team is on board. But Adidas hopes there will be more teams after this, reports the San Jose Mercury News.

“I went ‘Wow!’” (Warriors co-owner Peter) Guber said of the August 2011 meeting (with Adidas to pitch the idea). “It was a very profound change. And I think Adidas presenting it to us and giving us the option to be the first one to do this demonstrates our willingness to be inventive….”

“It was the right moment, the right team,” said Lawrence Norman, Adidas’ vice president of global basketball. “Even more important, the right city. When you launch something as innovative as this — that will change the way the players look on the court and the way the fans support the team forever — why not launch it in the most innovative part of the United States?”

It’s a basketball jersey. I think words like “profound” and “changing the way fans support the team forever” are over the top here. Again, it’s a basketball jersey, not a Middle East peace accord.

However, it certainly is a break with NBA tradition. And we know how people tend to respond to breaks in tradition. Based on the twitter/online reaction I’ve seen, people tend to hate it. Particularly the sleeves. But you’re not going to just see it in the NBA, a number of Adidas college teams (UCLA, Louisville, others) will don it as well.

My two cents — I don’t hate the sleeves. I’d say I’m neutral. However, I’m not a fan of the tight-fitting uniforms because, well, eventually someone like Eddy Curry or Raymond Felton after a lockout is going to put them on and we don’t need to see that.

But have at it — what do you think?

1. misterchainbluelightning - Feb 11, 2013 at 5:07 PM

They will sell, bring back the short shorts and chicks might start watching the NBA.

• badintent - Feb 12, 2013 at 3:11 AM

Everyone in the gym is wearing Underamour and Reebok jerseys. Tight makes your muscles look bigger than they really are and for most dudes they need that look if you catch my drift.Locker macho BS. the gym chicks dig the Calvin Klein singlelets tooTThe NBA is palying catch up .FUBU is long dead.Only fat dudes wear that crap now.

2. tjstyles - Feb 11, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I agree with the writer of the article; I don’t mind the sleeves, but I don’t like the tightness part of it.

I have been buying jerseys of late, and I tend to avoid basketball jerseys because of the lack of sleeves. I am not comfortable without sleeves so I have to wear an undershirt, which makes it quite hot (especially since I live in AZ). The reason I went to jerseys in the first place is because the Reebok Replica Football Jerseys really circulated well, so I could remain cooler inside, when I tend to get really hot in t-shirts and stuff. Adding two layers of shirts is not a good solution to overheating. But, I also don’t like tight-fitting closes, so I would be in the same boat as I am now; rarely purchasing NBA jerseys.

• badintent - Feb 12, 2013 at 2:57 AM

new invention in AZ. AC.

3. 69jaredallen69 - Feb 11, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Please come out of retirement Oliver Miller so we can all be repulsed by you wearing this and the fad can stop

• areyesrn - Feb 12, 2013 at 6:25 PM

do the Warriors have any players with “unflattering” bodies? LOL…I’d love to see that

4. drewzducks - Feb 11, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Having a tough time seeing Billy Paultz or Paul Mokeski sporting these.

• badintent - Feb 12, 2013 at 3:04 AM

The Whopper lives !! He was much quicker than he looked, he and Rick Barry got the big ABA ring with the Nets and I got to see it all with the LI Colisuem in my backyard at the time. Then later I had the Islanders 4 Cups and then it all went bad………………………bad to Brooklyn……….. which is hockey hell.

5. slopokedarapper - Feb 11, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Nobody under 30 should be rocking a jersey. And ballers don’t hoop in jerseys either. Everyone, no matter the age, can wear these jerseys since they are shirts. Check out the Warrior website. Players are wearing the new jerseys and they ain’t wearing them that tight. The above is for a studio photo shoot. With the shorts, it reminds me of the ABA. Looks clean to me. Once again, The Town (Oakland for you don’t knows) settin’ trends…

6. rodge1 - Feb 11, 2013 at 6:18 PM

@franchiseplaya
    Hilarious!… Didn’t see your comment when writing mine.

7. jammer73 - Feb 11, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Fugly!

8. daddyghi - Feb 11, 2013 at 7:18 PM

the guy looked like a burito!

9. doublezero74 - Feb 11, 2013 at 7:42 PM

The nba, where spandex happens

10. baymac408 - Feb 11, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Damn these are wack I really hope my favorite team doesn’t wear these… B.s.

11. papacrick - Feb 11, 2013 at 8:33 PM

They just showed this to Jason Maxiel on Pistons pre game and he said he’d retire if the league went to those uniforms

12. obeidl - Feb 11, 2013 at 9:02 PM

This is just stupid. Why add any type of restriction to the shoulder joint when you want to shoot? I don’t get it.

13. 4thqtrsaint - Feb 11, 2013 at 9:43 PM

I love when people reference the ABA. Like they ever heard of it before the Wil Ferrel movie.

14. rushbacker - Feb 11, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Man, that junk is turrible.

15. jordanismyidol - Feb 12, 2013 at 3:07 AM

R u kidding me?

16. kavika6 - Feb 12, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Maybe for running the 100 meter hurdles but not for basketball.

17. kansacity88 - Feb 12, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Man, that’s a women’s jersey! You may as well add wiring or incorporate a sports bra stitching in the breast…..err…uhh…chest area! GTSOH!!!!!

18. staff2cj - Feb 12, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Jay Z wants brooklyn to wear tight shirts and shorts

19. Jeff - Feb 12, 2013 at 9:04 PM

I don’t like them.

20. cjhauch - Feb 13, 2013 at 12:47 PM

NOOO! Please no!

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches