Feb 11, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
There are a lot of sellers on the trade market right now — Atlanta, Orlando, Utah — but it looks more and more like the Phoenix Suns might be trying to be buyers.
First there were the reports the Suns were going after Iman Shumpert of the Knicks (that’s not likely to happen) and now comes a report from the Arizona Republic that the Suns are targeting some Jazz players.
The Suns also have shown interest in a bigger splash for Utah’s Al Jefferson or Gordon Hayward. Dudley could be a part of either of those deals with center Marcin Gortat likely needed to make one work for Jefferson, a 28-year-old power forward who makes $14 million and is averaging 17.4 points and 9.5 rebounds. Hayward, a 22-year-old swingman, is averaging 13.5 points in a reserve role.
Jefferson is also a free agent after this summer and you have to wonder if the Suns could re-sign him, or if they would want to. If Dwight Howard decides to re-sign with the Lakers (and nobody knows what is up with that situation right now — how bad a teammate do you have to be to get Steve Nash to yell at you?) Jefferson could be the best free agent big man on the market. And if he is, he’s going to want to test the market (because I doubt the Suns are going to talk max deal with him).
The Suns have cap space and a lot of first-round picks they can move, which makes them an attractive trade partner for teams. They also appear to be dangling Jared Dudley in trades consistently. Bottom line is they seem to be active. I’m still not sure what their overall rebuilding plan looks like, but it seems we can expect them to be active at the deadline.
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 3
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 12
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (59)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- LIVE: Pacers aim to even series with Heat
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination