Feb 11, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
There are a lot of sellers on the trade market right now — Atlanta, Orlando, Utah — but it looks more and more like the Phoenix Suns might be trying to be buyers.
First there were the reports the Suns were going after Iman Shumpert of the Knicks (that’s not likely to happen) and now comes a report from the Arizona Republic that the Suns are targeting some Jazz players.
The Suns also have shown interest in a bigger splash for Utah’s Al Jefferson or Gordon Hayward. Dudley could be a part of either of those deals with center Marcin Gortat likely needed to make one work for Jefferson, a 28-year-old power forward who makes $14 million and is averaging 17.4 points and 9.5 rebounds. Hayward, a 22-year-old swingman, is averaging 13.5 points in a reserve role.
Jefferson is also a free agent after this summer and you have to wonder if the Suns could re-sign him, or if they would want to. If Dwight Howard decides to re-sign with the Lakers (and nobody knows what is up with that situation right now — how bad a teammate do you have to be to get Steve Nash to yell at you?) Jefferson could be the best free agent big man on the market. And if he is, he’s going to want to test the market (because I doubt the Suns are going to talk max deal with him).
The Suns have cap space and a lot of first-round picks they can move, which makes them an attractive trade partner for teams. They also appear to be dangling Jared Dudley in trades consistently. Bottom line is they seem to be active. I’m still not sure what their overall rebuilding plan looks like, but it seems we can expect them to be active at the deadline.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 7
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 1
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 11
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 30
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29