Feb 11, 2013, 6:52 PM EDT
Oh how semantics can be fun.
If there is one player you can bet gets traded before the deadline it’s J.J. Redick of the Orlando Magic. A very good three-point shooter who can put the ball on the floor, can pass and is a capable defender. Plus he’s in the last year of his contract. There are 29 other teams in the league that could use a guy like Redick and reportedly the Bucks, Bulls, Pacers, Celtics and other have kicked the tires on a potential trade.
But Redick likes it in Orlando, where he has spent his entire pro career. He would like to stay. So he asked the Magic what was going on and they gave him a line, although that’s not exactly how the Orlando Sentinel phrased it.
Magic SG J.J. Redick told the Sentinel after Sunday’s win that the club has told him they “are not actively trying to move me.”
“Not actively trying to move” means “we’re not making calls to anyone.”
But that is very different than taking calls. If teams call the Magic — and most assuredly they are, far more than we know about — and they take the calls, that is technically not “actively trying.” It’s passively trying.
But the result is the same. If I were Redick I would just put a packed bag by the door.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 14
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43