Feb 11, 2013, 6:52 PM EST
Oh how semantics can be fun.
If there is one player you can bet gets traded before the deadline it’s J.J. Redick of the Orlando Magic. A very good three-point shooter who can put the ball on the floor, can pass and is a capable defender. Plus he’s in the last year of his contract. There are 29 other teams in the league that could use a guy like Redick and reportedly the Bucks, Bulls, Pacers, Celtics and other have kicked the tires on a potential trade.
But Redick likes it in Orlando, where he has spent his entire pro career. He would like to stay. So he asked the Magic what was going on and they gave him a line, although that’s not exactly how the Orlando Sentinel phrased it.
Magic SG J.J. Redick told the Sentinel after Sunday’s win that the club has told him they “are not actively trying to move me.”
“Not actively trying to move” means “we’re not making calls to anyone.”
But that is very different than taking calls. If teams call the Magic — and most assuredly they are, far more than we know about — and they take the calls, that is technically not “actively trying.” It’s passively trying.
But the result is the same. If I were Redick I would just put a packed bag by the door.
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 40
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 4
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 10