Feb 11, 2013, 6:52 PM EDT
Oh how semantics can be fun.
If there is one player you can bet gets traded before the deadline it’s J.J. Redick of the Orlando Magic. A very good three-point shooter who can put the ball on the floor, can pass and is a capable defender. Plus he’s in the last year of his contract. There are 29 other teams in the league that could use a guy like Redick and reportedly the Bucks, Bulls, Pacers, Celtics and other have kicked the tires on a potential trade.
But Redick likes it in Orlando, where he has spent his entire pro career. He would like to stay. So he asked the Magic what was going on and they gave him a line, although that’s not exactly how the Orlando Sentinel phrased it.
Magic SG J.J. Redick told the Sentinel after Sunday’s win that the club has told him they “are not actively trying to move me.”
“Not actively trying to move” means “we’re not making calls to anyone.”
But that is very different than taking calls. If teams call the Magic — and most assuredly they are, far more than we know about — and they take the calls, that is technically not “actively trying.” It’s passively trying.
But the result is the same. If I were Redick I would just put a packed bag by the door.
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 0
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 10
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 6
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 38
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 6
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 15