Feb 11, 2013, 6:52 PM EDT
Oh how semantics can be fun.
If there is one player you can bet gets traded before the deadline it’s J.J. Redick of the Orlando Magic. A very good three-point shooter who can put the ball on the floor, can pass and is a capable defender. Plus he’s in the last year of his contract. There are 29 other teams in the league that could use a guy like Redick and reportedly the Bucks, Bulls, Pacers, Celtics and other have kicked the tires on a potential trade.
But Redick likes it in Orlando, where he has spent his entire pro career. He would like to stay. So he asked the Magic what was going on and they gave him a line, although that’s not exactly how the Orlando Sentinel phrased it.
Magic SG J.J. Redick told the Sentinel after Sunday’s win that the club has told him they “are not actively trying to move me.”
“Not actively trying to move” means “we’re not making calls to anyone.”
But that is very different than taking calls. If teams call the Magic — and most assuredly they are, far more than we know about — and they take the calls, that is technically not “actively trying.” It’s passively trying.
But the result is the same. If I were Redick I would just put a packed bag by the door.
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 8
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 43
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 54
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 70
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 37
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16