Feb 11, 2013, 9:11 AM EST
Phoenix is rebuilding and they want to acquire young assets in that process. Guys like, say, Iman Shumpert of the New York Knicks.
Which is why a proposed trade that sent Shumpert to the Suns and Jared Dudley or some other pieces to the Knicks made sense for Phoenix. Just not as much for New York where they are still very high on Shumpert.
Which is why the trade is not one you can expect to see, reports ESPNNewYork.com.
The New York Knicks are listening to trade offers for Iman Shumpert, but a team source said a deal that would send the second-year guard to the Phoenix Suns for Dudley as part of a multiplayer package is “unlikely at this point.”
And Carmelo Anthony doesn’t really want it anyway.
“We don’t need to make no moves,” Knicks star Carmelo told ESPNNewYork.com. “No, we’re good. … What are we going to go get? I don’t know what we going to go get for (Shumpert).”
With Jason Kidd’s shot apparently having deserted him and the Knicks three-point shooting overall having taken a dive the Knicks want a shooter. And Dudley is shooting 38.9 percent from three and for his career shoots better than 40 percent from beyond the arc. On paper he fits their needs.
But the Knicks will need a perimeter defender in the playoffs and Shumpert is the best they have. Plus Shumpert is popular with the fans and much of the front office. It’s unlikely they move him unless the deal blows them away. And the offer from Phoenix does not.
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 15
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 10
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 15
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 25
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8