Feb 11, 2013, 9:11 AM EDT
Phoenix is rebuilding and they want to acquire young assets in that process. Guys like, say, Iman Shumpert of the New York Knicks.
Which is why a proposed trade that sent Shumpert to the Suns and Jared Dudley or some other pieces to the Knicks made sense for Phoenix. Just not as much for New York where they are still very high on Shumpert.
Which is why the trade is not one you can expect to see, reports ESPNNewYork.com.
The New York Knicks are listening to trade offers for Iman Shumpert, but a team source said a deal that would send the second-year guard to the Phoenix Suns for Dudley as part of a multiplayer package is “unlikely at this point.”
And Carmelo Anthony doesn’t really want it anyway.
“We don’t need to make no moves,” Knicks star Carmelo told ESPNNewYork.com. “No, we’re good. … What are we going to go get? I don’t know what we going to go get for (Shumpert).”
With Jason Kidd’s shot apparently having deserted him and the Knicks three-point shooting overall having taken a dive the Knicks want a shooter. And Dudley is shooting 38.9 percent from three and for his career shoots better than 40 percent from beyond the arc. On paper he fits their needs.
But the Knicks will need a perimeter defender in the playoffs and Shumpert is the best they have. Plus Shumpert is popular with the fans and much of the front office. It’s unlikely they move him unless the deal blows them away. And the offer from Phoenix does not.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 20
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 38
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85