Feb 11, 2013, 9:11 AM EDT
Phoenix is rebuilding and they want to acquire young assets in that process. Guys like, say, Iman Shumpert of the New York Knicks.
Which is why a proposed trade that sent Shumpert to the Suns and Jared Dudley or some other pieces to the Knicks made sense for Phoenix. Just not as much for New York where they are still very high on Shumpert.
Which is why the trade is not one you can expect to see, reports ESPNNewYork.com.
The New York Knicks are listening to trade offers for Iman Shumpert, but a team source said a deal that would send the second-year guard to the Phoenix Suns for Dudley as part of a multiplayer package is “unlikely at this point.”
And Carmelo Anthony doesn’t really want it anyway.
“We don’t need to make no moves,” Knicks star Carmelo told ESPNNewYork.com. “No, we’re good. … What are we going to go get? I don’t know what we going to go get for (Shumpert).”
With Jason Kidd’s shot apparently having deserted him and the Knicks three-point shooting overall having taken a dive the Knicks want a shooter. And Dudley is shooting 38.9 percent from three and for his career shoots better than 40 percent from beyond the arc. On paper he fits their needs.
But the Knicks will need a perimeter defender in the playoffs and Shumpert is the best they have. Plus Shumpert is popular with the fans and much of the front office. It’s unlikely they move him unless the deal blows them away. And the offer from Phoenix does not.
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 47
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3