Feb 10, 2013, 2:01 PM EDT
It’s my annual warning this time of year — when you hear a trade rumor think, “which team would benefit from that going public?” Usually that will lead you to where it was leaked. And no team is going to make a trade unless it benefits them — both sides need to see it as a win for a trade to happen (whether or not all of us on the outside think it’s a win, the team may).
A lot of rumors this time of year have little to no basis in reality — one team likes an idea and it gets floated publicly to see if that will help it gain some momentum. And some are just made up out of thin air.
Don’t believe that some are just made up? Look at what Nuggets coach George Karl told the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
He admitted he once had a contest with coaching pals to see who could get an outlandish rumor into the newspaper first.
“We make up some trade that never was proposed in 100 years and suddenly it’s on ESPN,” he said, smiling.
And here’s the thing — if you’re a reporter and you get a rumor from George Karl (or any NBA coach or assistant coach) that’s a very solid source and you might well run with it. Even if it makes no sense, you got it from the coach.
So again, just be skeptical the next couple weeks. There will be trades — hello J.J. Redick — but when you hear a rumor this is a good time to start of cynical and go from there.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 28
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 44
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4