Magic’s Nicholson to replace Drummond in Rising Stars game

Feb 10, 2013, 8:01 PM EST

Andrew Nicholson, Mirza Teletovic AP

It was sad to see Detroit’s Andre Drummond go down for a month with a bad back, he was one of two guys who had a chance to chasing down Damian Lillard for Rookie of the Year (Anthony Davis is the other).

Drummond was also supposed to be part of the BBVA Rising Stars Challenge on All-Star Friday Night — what you and I call the rookie/sophomore game. Shaquille O’Neal selected Drummond to be part of his team.

Andrew Nicholson of the Orlando Magic will take his place, the league has announced.

If you just said “who?” then you haven’t been watching a lot of Orlando Magic basketball. Can’t say I blame you. But Nicholson has been a pleasant surprise and is one of the guys on the roster who could fill a good role for them in the future. He’s a 6’9” rookie forward out of St. Bonaventure, averaging 7.6 points and 3.5 rebounds with a PER of 15.6. He’s a good scorer in the post and was a guy our own D.J. Foster picked when he and I made our rookie/sophomore selections.

This could be a nice showcase for him. And it should give beaten down Magic fans a little hope.

1. cosanostra71 - Feb 10, 2013 at 8:28 PM

O’Quinn and Nicholson both have some potential for the Magic.

• nbascreed - Feb 10, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Lamar Odom, Corey Magette, Darius Miles and Quentin Richardson had championship..neh…dynasty potential according to Kurt and his ilk circa 2001. Take any proclamation of young athletic up and comer with a grain of salt when dealing with writers, it’s 99% lemming, 1% analysis.

ktgotgame.com

• 00maltliquor - Feb 11, 2013 at 2:49 AM

I know they didn’t even do anything, but that was one of the coolest teams put together in my eyes. Don’t forget Keyon Dooling and Eric Piatkowski!

maltliquorgotmoregame.org

• cosanostra71 - Feb 11, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Um, what? I just said they had potential. I never said they were the next coming of Tim Duncan and David Robinson. If you’ve watched them you’d know that they do have potential. O’Quinn looks like he will be a solid big man off the bench throughout his career.

• money2long - Feb 11, 2013 at 3:50 AM

o’quinn dunks the ball HARD

2. bowmanj35 - Feb 10, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I just read the article, and I still fins myself saying… who???

3. raidmagic - Feb 10, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Yeah! Now we have two VERY promising young guys on the national stage to show the NBA what Orlando has in
    store for them for many years to come.

4. themagicfanguy - Feb 10, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Harkless will be in this game next year.

5. bigwii - Feb 10, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Haha the Magic aren’t going anywhere for a while. They are always rebuilding like its a good thing they can never keep their star players. If Nicholson gets good he will be gone in a couple years they don’t know how to treat star players in Orlando is it a coincidence that the only high priced free agent to sign there recently was Lewis. Look how that turned out truth is it always seems like this team is “rebuilding” they were a legit contender for like 3 years after all those years of rebuilding now they’re at it again pathetic. Not to mention that there is no sure superstar in this draft to build around. And in free agency you can count on no legit free agents coming there anytime soon. Maybe Magic fans should stop acting like they are going to he a great team and maybe they shouldn’t have talked so much trash in the short time they were good but they did and that’s karma. Nicholson is good he will be a solid player for another team in a few years

6. siege102 - Feb 10, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Should’ve thrown John Henson a bone over this kid

7. scalfor3 - Feb 11, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Would’ve been Sullinger if not for….sigh

8. saint1997 - Feb 11, 2013 at 2:04 AM

no love for Iman Shumpert?

9. themagicfanguy - Feb 11, 2013 at 8:06 AM

@bigwii Yeah, because all those good teams like OKC, SA, LAC, IND, and CHI built their teams through free agency right? Idiot.

10. magicbucs - Feb 11, 2013 at 9:53 AM

@bigwii. Um you’re a moron lol. The magic were contenders from 2008-2011 so no they aren’t always rebuilding.
    Ok so what other teams are rebuilding right now??? Ummm all but maybe the top 4-6 teams in each conference are trying to rebuild.
    You must be 10 years old and know nothing about basketball and how 75% of all teams are always rebuilding. Some rebuild thru draft some free agency or both.

11. bigwii - Feb 11, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Haha I know a lot more than you think actually. I know people in the Magic organization too and they tell me all kinds of stories about how the Magic treat their players and the whole world knows how they treated Dwight even though both were at fault. This team crippled their credibility with players around the league. When you rebuild a team you want to compete for around 10 years. The Thunder will the Cavs are on their way many teams are. The Magic don’t have that top pick and even if they do there’s only one guy in this draft that could be the next KD or Kyrie. Free agents won’t wanna go there after this whole travesty so they gave a lot of problems they have to fix and it will take a while to do that. I see all these Magic fans say “Oh, we will be back I’m a couple years.” I also saw those people act like they were better than everyone else when they went to the Finals acting like they were the best thing to happen to basketball. Well they aren’t going anywhere for a while so enjoy being terrible for the next few years I don’t even see how people still want to cheer for this team anymore. Loyalty? It’s Orlando not New York or Boston there’s no loyalty to a team that will never be anything more than what they’ve been. All that trash talking really paid off right.

12. themagicfanguy - Feb 11, 2013 at 4:48 PM

@bigwii You don’t know a single person in the Magic organization. You don’t have a clue as to how players are treated by the organization. You’re a troll, that is all. You’ve probably never played a game of basketball in your entire life(2K doesn’t count). Anyone who knows basketball can see the potential that Harkless and Vucevic have, and that Nicholson can be an impact player as well.

13. bigwii - Feb 11, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Ok if you say so I guess you know more about me than me never said they didn’t have potential either just said they seem to never go anywhere but ok man I know a lot more than you think. Im not a sports management major or anything. Good to know you know so much about me though maybe magic fans just know everything.

14. bigwii - Feb 11, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Maybe I do troll magic fans on here but that’s because it’s so easy to piss them off they’re so sensitive. But it’s not because I don’t know what I’m talking about so please don’t tell me who I know and what I know you don’t get to do that. It’s sad that you have to go there but that’s how you magic fans are I should give you props you constantly cheer for a mediocre team expecting different results I think that’s the definition of insanity haha

15. themagicfanguy - Feb 11, 2013 at 9:11 PM

I don’t need to know you to know that your a liar. I’ve been following/attending the Magic since the beginning. When you go and say things like their credibility is destroyed because of mistreated players, it makes you look like a fool. That they can’t attract free agents because of Dwight? You’re clueless. You’re just talking for the sake of talking. Have you ever met the Magic players? Almost everyone who come through LOVES it here. I don’t care who you are, who you know, what type of degree you have. None of those things matter, what matters is the statement you made about the treatment of players in Orlando is either a deliberate lie, or an ignorant accusation that is completely baseless. Based on the fact that you started your comments with said false statement, I have to assume that you’re just another troll who has no idea what he is talking about.

16. bigwii - Feb 12, 2013 at 3:58 AM

Truth is we can argue all day here its not going to solve anything I also really don’t care what some magic fan thinks of me haha. I mean its funny to get them all pissed off but there so defensive and paranoid it’s ridiculous just admit your team isn’t going anywhere fast and history repeats itself. You all go look at your empty rafters ill go look at my 17 championship banners and laugh. Go to bed magicfanguy your team will always be mediocre. We’re done here why don’t you go read other posts I have on non-magic stories or other sports you’ll see I actually do know a lot more than you think I know haha.

17. themagicfanguy - Feb 12, 2013 at 8:15 AM

You know nothing, you’re just a person trying to get his rocks off by trolling. You think I care if your team has 17 banners? Heck, your team is in even WORSE position than mine. They’re too old and too injury riddled to actually compete, but too stubborn to blow it up and rebuild like they need to. At least the Magic have a lottery pick to look forward to, all you have is some old and underachieving players to keep paying until they retire. Those 17 banners won’t help you this season, or the next few. You’ve probably only been alive to see one of them get raised haven’t you? Yeah, thought so. At least I know why you’ve been trolling now, still bitter about getting spanked by the Magic in the playoffs a few years back I guess. Get over it already, focus on watching your team crumble instead.

18. themagicfanguy - Feb 12, 2013 at 8:19 AM

You keep mentioning how easy Magic fans are to piss off and how defensive/sensitive they are, yet you’ve failed to piss off a single Magic fan so far that I’ve seen. Get better at trolling.

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches