Feb 10, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
It was sad to see Detroit’s Andre Drummond go down for a month with a bad back, he was one of two guys who had a chance to chasing down Damian Lillard for Rookie of the Year (Anthony Davis is the other).
Drummond was also supposed to be part of the BBVA Rising Stars Challenge on All-Star Friday Night — what you and I call the rookie/sophomore game. Shaquille O’Neal selected Drummond to be part of his team.
Andrew Nicholson of the Orlando Magic will take his place, the league has announced.
If you just said “who?” then you haven’t been watching a lot of Orlando Magic basketball. Can’t say I blame you. But Nicholson has been a pleasant surprise and is one of the guys on the roster who could fill a good role for them in the future. He’s a 6’9” rookie forward out of St. Bonaventure, averaging 7.6 points and 3.5 rebounds with a PER of 15.6. He’s a good scorer in the post and was a guy our own D.J. Foster picked when he and I made our rookie/sophomore selections.
This could be a nice showcase for him. And it should give beaten down Magic fans a little hope.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 5
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4