Feb 10, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
There is the buzz — the Philadelphia 76ers are testing the trade waters for Evan Turner. Maybe just to gauge his market value, but they are asking around.
There is the reality — Turner is in the middle of a shooting slump. In his last five games he is averaging 7.2 points a game on 30.2 percent shooting overall and he is 0-ofr-6 from three in that stretch.
That’s a lot of pressure starting to pile on the former No. 2 overall pick.
“I’m not a GM, so I really don’t know [my trade value],” Turner said. “I think it’s all about what our team needs, and that’s it. Whatever. I think that the best is yet to come with me in general, wherever it occurs.”
“It’s not my choice to be traded or not, you know?” Turner said. “So if it happens, it happens. What I want doesn’t matter. If it did, life would be way different.”
My guess is that the Sixers will not offer a contract extension to Turner (he is eligible this summer) and instead will hold on to him for now, then decide when he becomes a restricted free agent if they want to match the market for him. He could get moved this summer or next season, but I’m not sure right now there is a lot of value for other teams in trading for Turner. He’s been a nice wing player but not spectacular, and teams are not going to give up a lot to get something they can get a lot of other places.
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 6
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 16
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 7
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 13
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 100
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (101)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'