In midst of slump, Evan Turner tries to shrug off trade rumors

Feb 10, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers v Boston Celtics Getty Images

There is the buzz — the Philadelphia 76ers are testing the trade waters for Evan Turner. Maybe just to gauge his market value, but they are asking around.

There is the reality — Turner is in the middle of a shooting slump. In his last five games he is averaging 7.2 points a game on 30.2 percent shooting overall and he is 0-ofr-6 from three in that stretch.

That’s a lot of pressure starting to pile on the former No. 2 overall pick.

He’s doing his best to shrug it all off, he told CSNPhilly.com.

“I’m not a GM, so I really don’t know [my trade value],” Turner said. “I think it’s all about what our team needs, and that’s it. Whatever. I think that the best is yet to come with me in general, wherever it occurs.”

“It’s not my choice to be traded or not, you know?” Turner said. “So if it happens, it happens. What I want doesn’t matter. If it did, life would be way different.”

My guess is that the Sixers will not offer a contract extension to Turner (he is eligible this summer) and instead will hold on to him for now, then decide when he becomes a restricted free agent if they want to match the market for him. He could get moved this summer or next season, but I’m not sure right now there is a lot of value for other teams in trading for Turner. He’s been a nice wing player but not spectacular, and teams are not going to give up a lot to get something they can get a lot of other places.

1. philadelphiafan - Feb 10, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Take it from someone who watches every Sixers game, Turner still has a lot of potential and trade value. His jumpshot is improved and hes a great rebounder but he still needs to improve his decision making and become more consistent. He did go on a streak of 20+ points a game for about 10 games earlier this season. That’s why I still see some potential in him. He’s also the only player on this team that will actually get into it with the other team which I like because we’re such a soft team.

• saint1997 - Feb 11, 2013 at 2:11 AM

I agree with everything you said but do you really think Swaggy P and Jrue are soft? One thing is for sure though, when Bynum is back there is NO way they will be soft haha

2. somekat - Feb 10, 2013 at 5:25 PM

I like Turner, and think that if he is just a guy on the floor, and the defense can’t afford to worry about him, he can be one of the best in the game in that role. A beast on the boards (especially if like I said, he’s not a focus and his guy is leaving him to double), and very solid everywhere else. Also a good enough ball handler to let Holiday be more of a scorer when needed. I’d really hate to see him traded before Bynum plays, and he can play in that role.
    But right now, out side of Holiday, he is the first guy opposing defenses worry about. Nobody else on the team (except maybe Young when he’s on the floor) are dangerous enough to alter your defene for. With Bynum on the floor, he will draw constant doubles, and teams are going to be hesitant to double off of Holiday, I think Turner and T Young are going to reap huge benefits.
    But like I said in the other post about this. The sixers put all their eggs in the Bynum basket. IMO, they built a very good team if he is on the floor. But those pieces don’t fit without him on the floor. So if they think he can’t make it back, or if they aren’t comfortable resigning him for the money it will take, I have no problem guaging value for Turner and seeing if you can use the returning pieces to start to build around Holiday. (Unless you can pull off some miracle and get another youn big man to anchor the middle and command doubles. Emphasis on Young)

3. EvanZ - Feb 10, 2013 at 10:48 PM

It’s so curious why Philly fans ran Iguodala out of town so Evan Turner could “grow”. Apparently, they thought he was being “held back” by playing with Iggy.

Now they see that Turner simply isn’t that good. Historically, a 24 year old shooting guard/small forward who can’t break 50% TS in a season simply isn’t going to amount to much at all. Not sure what Philly fans expect. Just accept that he’s a bust and move on. Build around Jrue, Thad, and (hopefully) Bynum. Turner will never be more than a role player.

• reasonablemindsays - Feb 10, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Most true Sixers fans understood how good of a defender Iggy was and didn’t want him to go. If we had received a healthy Bynum in return, it would have still been a good trade for us because good centers are hard to find. However, getting rid of Iggy without getting anyone in return has clearly wrecked this team.

• sasquash20 - Feb 11, 2013 at 3:13 AM

Stop wih the Iggy talk. He was very overated just like Turner. The Sixers knew they weren’t winning anything with Iggy and you needed to see what Holiday and Turner have. Clearly Turner was a bad pic at number 2 with Cousins and Favors both there. Both are younger and have a lot more upside then Turner.

4. reasonablemindsays - Feb 10, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Take it from someone who is a Sixers fan (who also was against the Iggy trade for Bynum), Turner has a little potential but a lot of glaring holes in his game. His perceived value around the league is still a young guy with a good all-around game, so his trade value probably won’t get much higher than it is now. Turner isn’t even close to being on the same level as Iguodala. Turner is a below average defender, a little above average offensive player, and a great rebounder for the guard position. As a point guard, he turns the ball over way too much as he still dribbles the ball really high and makes poor decisions. As a shooting guard, his jump shot is still way too flat and he is an inconsistent shooter for a guy who defenders will leave wide open from the corner most of the game. As a small forward, he can’t defend a lot of the great small forwards that are in the eastern conference. Thus, he struggles at all 3 positions that he plays. He’ll be a solid player someday, ala Corey Maggette, but he’s not someone you want being your 3rd best player.

5. dko83 - Feb 11, 2013 at 5:08 AM

I’m not a fan of him at all, think he’s overrated. But the Sixers fans that have posted so far gave me some good info and made me a believer that maybe the best is yet to come for him. Maybe a new team will do him good, and the Sixers at the same time. Seems like you could get a decent return for him.

6. tmatic74 - Feb 11, 2013 at 6:33 AM

6’7 with no explosiveness no jump shot no handles no position and a bad attitude. I’m taking my talents to the NBA.

7. drex1 - Feb 11, 2013 at 7:33 AM

dammit, my team just traded away our pg jennings for him on 2k13. he shot 25% & had 5 turnovers. now got turner at the 3 & ball hog monta ellis playin pg.. we in trouble now

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches