Feb 9, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
The Magic don’t have a lot of reasons to retain J.J Redick in free agency this summer, considering the team is in a full-fledged rebuild and Redick, though in the middle of his best statistical season yet, is likely to have an asking price higher than it would make sense for Orlando to pay.
This is why the Magic are widely expected to deal Redick before the Feb. 21 trade deadline, and one report has the Milwaukee Bucks as the latest team interested in dealing for one of the league’s top shooters.
From Marc Stein of ESPN.com:
Weekend Dime addendum: Milwaukee now in mix for Magic’s JJ Redick. Bucks, I’m told, assessing their ability to retain sharpshooter long term.
To meet asking price for Redick — expiring(s) and a future first-round pick — Bucks naturally wanna know they can retain free agent-to-be.
The Bucks are currently holding down the eight seed in the Eastern Conference playoff picture, four games ahead of the ninth-place Sixers. Redick could easily provide enough of an offensive boost to move them up a couple of spots, thereby avoiding a matchup with the defending champion Heat in the postseason’s first round.
That might be enough to persuade Milwaukee into parting with an expiring contract to rent Redick for the remainder of this season, but the team would be foolish to include future first round picks in any deal unless there were assurances that Redick would re-sign with the Bucks this summer, and do so at a palatable price.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 52
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 34
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 35
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18