Feb 9, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
The Magic don’t have a lot of reasons to retain J.J Redick in free agency this summer, considering the team is in a full-fledged rebuild and Redick, though in the middle of his best statistical season yet, is likely to have an asking price higher than it would make sense for Orlando to pay.
This is why the Magic are widely expected to deal Redick before the Feb. 21 trade deadline, and one report has the Milwaukee Bucks as the latest team interested in dealing for one of the league’s top shooters.
From Marc Stein of ESPN.com:
Weekend Dime addendum: Milwaukee now in mix for Magic’s JJ Redick. Bucks, I’m told, assessing their ability to retain sharpshooter long term.
To meet asking price for Redick — expiring(s) and a future first-round pick — Bucks naturally wanna know they can retain free agent-to-be.
The Bucks are currently holding down the eight seed in the Eastern Conference playoff picture, four games ahead of the ninth-place Sixers. Redick could easily provide enough of an offensive boost to move them up a couple of spots, thereby avoiding a matchup with the defending champion Heat in the postseason’s first round.
That might be enough to persuade Milwaukee into parting with an expiring contract to rent Redick for the remainder of this season, but the team would be foolish to include future first round picks in any deal unless there were assurances that Redick would re-sign with the Bucks this summer, and do so at a palatable price.
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 13
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 36
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 26
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2