Feb 9, 2013, 11:00 AM EST
There was a time recently where Kobe Bryant was uncharacteristically racking up assists instead of points, and the Lakers, equally uncharacteristically, were actually winning some games this season.
Near the end of January, Bryant notched 14 assists in a win over the Jazz, another 14 in another win over the Thunder, 11 in a win over the Hornets, followed by nine in a loss to the Suns.
The 48 assists over a four-game stretch was the best of Bryant’s career, which had some in the media marveling at the way Bryant had changed his game to better accommodate the players the Lakers currently have on their roster.
LeBron James, however, isn’t exactly buying into Bryant’s so-called transformation.
LeBron James was asked if he’s buying it that Kobe Bryant has become a distributor. He said “no” and added more.
“Do I buy that?” James said. “No. He told you all before, he’s a scorer. He said it every day, ‘I’m a scorer and this is what I do.’ So I don’t buy it. No. You guys buy it, though. I see how you all go, ’49 assists in four games,’ whatever. You guys are going crazy about that. I don’t buy that. He’s a scorer.’’
Four games is a ridiculously small sample size, especially in a career as storied as Bryant’s, which is now in its 17th season. But those surrounding the Lakers have been searching, somewhat desperately, for anything positive to cling to during what has been a dismal season for the team thus far.
Since that stretch of 48 assists in four games, Bryant has regressed in that category, as expected. He has 25 total over his team’s last five games, including a zero in the Lakers horrific performance in Boston last week.
It’s worth noting that James isn’t simply opining about Bryant without reason — the Lakers come to Miami on Sunday to face the Heat in a nationally televised contest.
- Wednesday night NBA grades: Vintage Dwyane Wade sighting 0
- Heat come from 15 down to even season series with Pacers 21
- Report: At the moment, Lakers no longer considering trading Pau gasol 11
- PBT Extra: Damian Lillard or Kyrie Irving? Plus coaching hot seat talk. 6
- Report: Celtics may be frontrunners for Asik; would move Bass, Lee, pick 6
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (105)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. (49)
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns (48)
- Mike D’Antoni to Pau Gasol: “There’s no reason to not play hard” (48)