Feb 9, 2013, 11:27 PM EDT
Charlie Villanueva hit this three-pointer as the shot clock expired with about 10 seconds remaining that ended up being the game-winner in the Pistons 105-100 win over the Bucks in Milwaukee on Saturday.
Villanueva was in the right place at the right time, planted at the top of the three-point arc and available when Will Bynum swung the pass to him with time running out. Big shot from Charlie V there, etc.
But can we talk about the shot from Brandon Jennings that followed?
The Bucks had plenty of time left to still get a decent look at a game-tying three, but Jennings launched the ball towards the rim just after he crossed halfcourt, and with almost four seconds still remaining on the game clock when he made the decision to do so.
Now obviously, Jennings believed that the Pistons were going to foul to prevent the three-point attempt which could have tied the game, and also believed that he had received enough contact from Bynum for the officials to blow the whistle.
That’s the only possible explanation for his chucking the ball toward the rim from such an improbable distance with precious seconds still remaining, but that shot shouldn’t have gone up — especially in an end of game situation — unless the whistle had actually been blown by a referee first.
This isn’t to say that Jennings’ poor decision was the reason his team lost the game. But certainly, a better and more reasonable shot attempt could have been manufactured with that much time left on the game clock, and with the Bucks holding possession.
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 0
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 31
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 24
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 31
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61