Feb 9, 2013, 11:27 PM EST
Charlie Villanueva hit this three-pointer as the shot clock expired with about 10 seconds remaining that ended up being the game-winner in the Pistons 105-100 win over the Bucks in Milwaukee on Saturday.
Villanueva was in the right place at the right time, planted at the top of the three-point arc and available when Will Bynum swung the pass to him with time running out. Big shot from Charlie V there, etc.
But can we talk about the shot from Brandon Jennings that followed?
The Bucks had plenty of time left to still get a decent look at a game-tying three, but Jennings launched the ball towards the rim just after he crossed halfcourt, and with almost four seconds still remaining on the game clock when he made the decision to do so.
Now obviously, Jennings believed that the Pistons were going to foul to prevent the three-point attempt which could have tied the game, and also believed that he had received enough contact from Bynum for the officials to blow the whistle.
That’s the only possible explanation for his chucking the ball toward the rim from such an improbable distance with precious seconds still remaining, but that shot shouldn’t have gone up — especially in an end of game situation — unless the whistle had actually been blown by a referee first.
This isn’t to say that Jennings’ poor decision was the reason his team lost the game. But certainly, a better and more reasonable shot attempt could have been manufactured with that much time left on the game clock, and with the Bucks holding possession.
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 4
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 3
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 13
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 12
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Report: Kenyon Martin, Metta World Peace had “heated” argument (35)