Feb 8, 2013, 6:40 PM EDT
The Dallas Mavericks would like as much cap space as possible this summer to make a run at free agents — you think they are not watching the Dwight Howard situation with the Lakers closely? They want another star to pair with Dirk Nowitzki.
The Mavericks only have $42.2 million in guaranteed salary on the books if every option is picked up for next season. They have room to offer a max deal, but they may want more room. One way to potentially clear out some cap space would be to move Shawn Marion and the $9.3 million he is owed next year.
It’s not expected that Marion will be traded, but if he is he told the Dallas Morning News he will not report to a weak team.
“The thing is, right now, you come into a position like I am, this is my 14th season,” Marion, 34, said after practice Friday. “If I’m going to get traded, they’re going to tell me what’s going on and where I’m going.
“Because if I’m going to a (crummy) situation, I’m not going. It’s just that simple….
“At this time, I’m too old to be trying to go through a (bad situation). . . and not have a chance to do anything,” Marion said. “I’m at a point where I want to be playing for something right now.”
Marion is not likely to be traded. But now he’s really not likely, because elite teams are not going to take on that much money for a player and he’s likely done an effective job of scaring off lesser teams.
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 1
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 33
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 15
- ‘Devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize for Game 7 36
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 14
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (107)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'