Feb 8, 2013, 6:40 PM EDT
The Dallas Mavericks would like as much cap space as possible this summer to make a run at free agents — you think they are not watching the Dwight Howard situation with the Lakers closely? They want another star to pair with Dirk Nowitzki.
The Mavericks only have $42.2 million in guaranteed salary on the books if every option is picked up for next season. They have room to offer a max deal, but they may want more room. One way to potentially clear out some cap space would be to move Shawn Marion and the $9.3 million he is owed next year.
It’s not expected that Marion will be traded, but if he is he told the Dallas Morning News he will not report to a weak team.
“The thing is, right now, you come into a position like I am, this is my 14th season,” Marion, 34, said after practice Friday. “If I’m going to get traded, they’re going to tell me what’s going on and where I’m going.
“Because if I’m going to a (crummy) situation, I’m not going. It’s just that simple….
“At this time, I’m too old to be trying to go through a (bad situation). . . and not have a chance to do anything,” Marion said. “I’m at a point where I want to be playing for something right now.”
Marion is not likely to be traded. But now he’s really not likely, because elite teams are not going to take on that much money for a player and he’s likely done an effective job of scaring off lesser teams.
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 37
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 20
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89