Feb 8, 2013, 6:40 PM EDT
The Dallas Mavericks would like as much cap space as possible this summer to make a run at free agents — you think they are not watching the Dwight Howard situation with the Lakers closely? They want another star to pair with Dirk Nowitzki.
The Mavericks only have $42.2 million in guaranteed salary on the books if every option is picked up for next season. They have room to offer a max deal, but they may want more room. One way to potentially clear out some cap space would be to move Shawn Marion and the $9.3 million he is owed next year.
It’s not expected that Marion will be traded, but if he is he told the Dallas Morning News he will not report to a weak team.
“The thing is, right now, you come into a position like I am, this is my 14th season,” Marion, 34, said after practice Friday. “If I’m going to get traded, they’re going to tell me what’s going on and where I’m going.
“Because if I’m going to a (crummy) situation, I’m not going. It’s just that simple….
“At this time, I’m too old to be trying to go through a (bad situation). . . and not have a chance to do anything,” Marion said. “I’m at a point where I want to be playing for something right now.”
Marion is not likely to be traded. But now he’s really not likely, because elite teams are not going to take on that much money for a player and he’s likely done an effective job of scaring off lesser teams.
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 0
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20