Feb 8, 2013, 11:52 PM EDT
Rudy Gay was just 3-13 from the field and scored six total points through three quarters of the Raptors’ win over the Pacers on Friday. Indiana led 72-64 after three at home, and was poised to close it out against a Toronto team that it had simply been better than to this point in the season.
But Gay got going in the fourth, and then buried the Pacers near the end of the overtime session. He played all 17 minutes of the final two periods, and scored 17 points in that stretch to carry his new team to victory.
This jumper over (All-Star) Paul George was the shot that sealed it. He had George in isolation, and simply dribbled to his spot, rose up, and drained the shot over his defender as though he wasn’t even there.
Gay is averaging 24.7 points in four games with the Raptors, up from between 16 and 17 points per game while he was with the Grizzlies for the bulk of the first part of this season.
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 16
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 21
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 6
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 64
- Report: Lakers say ‘no done deal’ with Byron Scott 18
- Report: Lakers, Byron Scott agree to four-year, $17 million deal to coach team 16