Feb 8, 2013, 11:27 AM EST
After a couple of trade that took a lot of salary off the Memphis books — and sent Rudy Gay north to Toronto — the Grizzlies are done with moves to reduce salary. They are not trading theier stars.
But that does not mean they are done making trades completely.
A couple of trade notes surfaced about the Grizzlies Friday. The key one is that you can put away your Zach Randolph trade rumors. From the twitter account of Ronald Tillery of the Memphis Commercial Appeal:
Griz continue to field trade calls for Zach Randolph but have informed teams that they aren’t interested in moving the All Star forward—
Ronald Tillery (@CAGrizBlog) February 08, 2013
The Grizzlies are not done dealing, according to multiple sources — they’re just not looking to do any more stripping. The Grizzlies are far enough under the luxury tax that they’re willing to utilize at least part of their $7.5 million trade exception to add some perimeter help. Acquiring SG Courtney Lee, who Boston would consider flipping for some frontline help, was discussed but the Celtics aren’t looking just to drop salary but add size.
With the Celtics over the cap and a host of restrictions on guys that were just traded, it’s hard to see how the Celtics and Grizzlies would do a swap with a big headed back to Boston. That deal seems unlikely at best
Just know if Memphis makes any trades, they will not be big ones.
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 9
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 23
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 53
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 21
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)