Feb 8, 2013, 11:27 AM EDT
After a couple of trade that took a lot of salary off the Memphis books — and sent Rudy Gay north to Toronto — the Grizzlies are done with moves to reduce salary. They are not trading theier stars.
But that does not mean they are done making trades completely.
A couple of trade notes surfaced about the Grizzlies Friday. The key one is that you can put away your Zach Randolph trade rumors. From the twitter account of Ronald Tillery of the Memphis Commercial Appeal:
Griz continue to field trade calls for Zach Randolph but have informed teams that they aren’t interested in moving the All Star forward—
Ronald Tillery (@CAGrizBlog) February 08, 2013
The Grizzlies are not done dealing, according to multiple sources — they’re just not looking to do any more stripping. The Grizzlies are far enough under the luxury tax that they’re willing to utilize at least part of their $7.5 million trade exception to add some perimeter help. Acquiring SG Courtney Lee, who Boston would consider flipping for some frontline help, was discussed but the Celtics aren’t looking just to drop salary but add size.
With the Celtics over the cap and a host of restrictions on guys that were just traded, it’s hard to see how the Celtics and Grizzlies would do a swap with a big headed back to Boston. That deal seems unlikely at best
Just know if Memphis makes any trades, they will not be big ones.
- Report: The Clippers have let go of Vinny Del Negro as coach 0
- Durant donates $1 million to Oklahoma City tornado disaster relief efforts 6
- Odds for the NBA Draft Lottery (that teams don’t care if they win) 6
- Jim Boeheim says Knicks problem is not Carmelo, it’s everyone else 6
- Report: Tony Parker got death threat during Game 1 9
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable