Feb 8, 2013, 11:27 AM EDT
After a couple of trade that took a lot of salary off the Memphis books — and sent Rudy Gay north to Toronto — the Grizzlies are done with moves to reduce salary. They are not trading theier stars.
But that does not mean they are done making trades completely.
A couple of trade notes surfaced about the Grizzlies Friday. The key one is that you can put away your Zach Randolph trade rumors. From the twitter account of Ronald Tillery of the Memphis Commercial Appeal:
Griz continue to field trade calls for Zach Randolph but have informed teams that they aren’t interested in moving the All Star forward—
Ronald Tillery (@CAGrizBlog) February 08, 2013
The Grizzlies are not done dealing, according to multiple sources — they’re just not looking to do any more stripping. The Grizzlies are far enough under the luxury tax that they’re willing to utilize at least part of their $7.5 million trade exception to add some perimeter help. Acquiring SG Courtney Lee, who Boston would consider flipping for some frontline help, was discussed but the Celtics aren’t looking just to drop salary but add size.
With the Celtics over the cap and a host of restrictions on guys that were just traded, it’s hard to see how the Celtics and Grizzlies would do a swap with a big headed back to Boston. That deal seems unlikely at best
Just know if Memphis makes any trades, they will not be big ones.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37