Feb 8, 2013, 5:53 PM EDT
The Brooklyn Nets are looking for a way to space the floor — they take the seventh most threes in the NBA, 21.7 a game, but shoot just 34.8 percent (21st in the league). Teams clog the lane on the Nets, try to take away Brook Lopez and easy driving lanes for Deron Williams.
The Charlotte Bobcats need… what don’t they need? But sure, they could use more presence inside.
So the two are talking trade, reports Chris Broussard at ESPN.
Sources: Nets & Bobcats discussing Ben Gordon for Kris Humphries trade. Nothing imminent but talks ongoing. Story on espn.con shortly—
Chris Broussard (@Chris_Broussard) February 08, 2013
The Bobcats would save a little money — Humphries makes $12 million this season and next, Gordon makes $12.4 this season and $13.2 next season.
Howard Beck of the New York Times tweeted that the Bobcats proposed this deal. Which means they like it, the question is do the Nets. Rick Bonell of the Charlotte Observer tweets that the sides have talked but nothing is close.
Humphries is averaging 6 points and 6.4 rebounds a game, his shooting percentage has fallen off to 42.4 (worst for him in five years) and he is playing a smaller role in Brooklyn. He remains better known for having been married to Kim Kardashian for 72 days than he does for his game.
Gordon is scoring 13.1 points a game and is shooting 41.7 percent from three (which is what should intrigue Brooklyn). On a Bobcats team that needs points Gordon has the green light and he’s played fairly efficiently with it despite having to take on more of the offense on him.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 14
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43