Feb 8, 2013, 3:34 PM EDT
If you’re Chicago you could save $5 million a year for a couple years with Bargnani buried on your bench (you think Tom Thibodeau is going to play him much?) but why not just play out the season with Boozer then save a bunch more and use your amnesty clause on him this summer?
Despite the talks, there are no plans to use the amnesty provision on Boozer this summer. Boozer is having a strong season, but shedding his salary could improve the Bulls’ long-term financial picture.
Why not? And why a Bargnani trade instead?
Because of real money out the door. If the Bulls amnesty Boozer they still have to pay him his salary (minus whatever he would sign for with another team). The Bulls are still on the hook for the contract, it just doesn’t count against the “official” books used for team salary against the cap and luxury tax. Fill in that cap space created by the Boozer amnesty and you’re paying those dollars twice, in essence. Trade for Bargnani and that is $5 million a year in real savings.
It’s all about the money — and in the Bulls case not paying the luxury tax. Despite the market size.
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 4
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 18
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 26
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy