Feb 8, 2013, 7:24 PM EST
A report from Vincent Goodwill of the Detroit News has the injury as a fractured tailbone, but either way, it will require rest rather than surgery to heal before Drummond is available to return to action.
Drummond was the ninth overall pick in the most recent NBA draft, and had improved in recent weeks. He’s averaged 7.3 points, 7.5 rebounds and 1.4 blocks in less than 20 minutes per game in Detroit this season.
Drummond was selected to participate in the BBVA Rising Stars Challenge over All-Star weekend, the game featuring rosters comprised of the league’s top rookies and sophomores. He was drafted by Shaquille O’Neal to be a member of Team Shaq, but will now be forced to sit out of the weekend’s festivities.
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 8
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 13
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 30