Feb 8, 2013, 7:24 PM EDT
A report from Vincent Goodwill of the Detroit News has the injury as a fractured tailbone, but either way, it will require rest rather than surgery to heal before Drummond is available to return to action.
Drummond was the ninth overall pick in the most recent NBA draft, and had improved in recent weeks. He’s averaged 7.3 points, 7.5 rebounds and 1.4 blocks in less than 20 minutes per game in Detroit this season.
Drummond was selected to participate in the BBVA Rising Stars Challenge over All-Star weekend, the game featuring rosters comprised of the league’s top rookies and sophomores. He was drafted by Shaquille O’Neal to be a member of Team Shaq, but will now be forced to sit out of the weekend’s festivities.
- LeBron takes offense to something that Pacers’ head coach Vogel didn’t actually say 19
- Thunder GM says team won’t amnesty Kendrick Perkins 19
- Western Conference Finals preview: Grizzlies vs. Spurs 8
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 50
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 29
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (79)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (63)
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay