Feb 8, 2013, 7:24 PM EDT
A report from Vincent Goodwill of the Detroit News has the injury as a fractured tailbone, but either way, it will require rest rather than surgery to heal before Drummond is available to return to action.
Drummond was the ninth overall pick in the most recent NBA draft, and had improved in recent weeks. He’s averaged 7.3 points, 7.5 rebounds and 1.4 blocks in less than 20 minutes per game in Detroit this season.
Drummond was selected to participate in the BBVA Rising Stars Challenge over All-Star weekend, the game featuring rosters comprised of the league’s top rookies and sophomores. He was drafted by Shaquille O’Neal to be a member of Team Shaq, but will now be forced to sit out of the weekend’s festivities.
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 3
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 21
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 41
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2