Feb 8, 2013, 7:24 PM EDT
A report from Vincent Goodwill of the Detroit News has the injury as a fractured tailbone, but either way, it will require rest rather than surgery to heal before Drummond is available to return to action.
Drummond was the ninth overall pick in the most recent NBA draft, and had improved in recent weeks. He’s averaged 7.3 points, 7.5 rebounds and 1.4 blocks in less than 20 minutes per game in Detroit this season.
Drummond was selected to participate in the BBVA Rising Stars Challenge over All-Star weekend, the game featuring rosters comprised of the league’s top rookies and sophomores. He was drafted by Shaquille O’Neal to be a member of Team Shaq, but will now be forced to sit out of the weekend’s festivities.
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 60
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59