Feb 8, 2013, 7:24 PM EST
A report from Vincent Goodwill of the Detroit News has the injury as a fractured tailbone, but either way, it will require rest rather than surgery to heal before Drummond is available to return to action.
Drummond was the ninth overall pick in the most recent NBA draft, and had improved in recent weeks. He’s averaged 7.3 points, 7.5 rebounds and 1.4 blocks in less than 20 minutes per game in Detroit this season.
Drummond was selected to participate in the BBVA Rising Stars Challenge over All-Star weekend, the game featuring rosters comprised of the league’s top rookies and sophomores. He was drafted by Shaquille O’Neal to be a member of Team Shaq, but will now be forced to sit out of the weekend’s festivities.
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 1
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 8
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 9
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20