Feb 8, 2013, 7:24 PM EDT
A report from Vincent Goodwill of the Detroit News has the injury as a fractured tailbone, but either way, it will require rest rather than surgery to heal before Drummond is available to return to action.
Drummond was the ninth overall pick in the most recent NBA draft, and had improved in recent weeks. He’s averaged 7.3 points, 7.5 rebounds and 1.4 blocks in less than 20 minutes per game in Detroit this season.
Drummond was selected to participate in the BBVA Rising Stars Challenge over All-Star weekend, the game featuring rosters comprised of the league’s top rookies and sophomores. He was drafted by Shaquille O’Neal to be a member of Team Shaq, but will now be forced to sit out of the weekend’s festivities.
- Extra Pass: Beyond Phil Jackson, Knicks should see Tim Hardaway as instrumental to their future 0
- Wednesday NBA grades: Brooklyn is all about The Truth 2
- Truth too much for Heat, Brooklyn knocks off Miami 17
- PBT Extra: Talking Andrew Bynum’s arrival, Trail Blazers’ stumble 1
- Report: Kobe Bryant has “no interest” in playing for Mike D’Antoni next season 45