LeBron passes the ball back and forth with fan in the stands during Heat – Clippers (VIDEO)

Feb 8, 2013, 9:47 PM EDT

These are the moments that make attending a professional sporting event in person so amazing.

Near the end of the first half of the contest between the Heat and the Clippers on Friday, the ball inadvertently ended up a few rows back in the stands, and in the hands of one of the fans in attendance.

LeBron James — only the best player in the game today — comes over and asks the fan for the ball back so that play can continue. Once James receives it, he takes a moment to play a little game of catch with the fan wearing the number 6 Miami Heat jersey, making the guy’s night a memorable one while getting cheers from the hometown crowd in the process.

1. kingbeason52 - Feb 8, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Glad to see that fan get his money worth out of a boring game..and good for Lebron as well..way to interact with the people who help pay your bills..

• fanofevilempire - Feb 9, 2013 at 8:58 AM

The entire story makes ya smile, I find it amusing that LeBron is normal,
      Imagine if the guy was in Boston and KG asked for the ball?

• gmsingh - Feb 10, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I don’t find anything wrong with this, other than if LeBron wasn’t called for a delay of game then it’s more fixed officitating.

2. 13arod - Feb 8, 2013 at 10:40 PM

healso one a $300 gift card for party city what a night for him

• miamatt - Feb 8, 2013 at 10:45 PM

It’s kind of hilarious to imagine how some guy on vacation would spend $300 at party city; I don’t think they have ‘em down in Honduras!

• fanofevilempire - Feb 9, 2013 at 9:00 AM

maybe he will give you the card, is that all you got from what happened.

3. miamatt - Feb 8, 2013 at 10:45 PM

What an ambassador for the game of basketball.

4. dannymac17 - Feb 8, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Clippers got spanked tonight OUCH

5. kinggw - Feb 8, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Another reason why LBJ is one of the good guys in the NBA. His interaction with the fan didn’t seem contrived or forced, he really seemed to be enjoying himself.

Now that he’s got that championship monkey off of his back, Lebron looks like he’s relaxed and having fun. That can’t be good for the rest of the league.

• fanofevilempire - Feb 9, 2013 at 9:02 AM

as a Knick fan, he looks locked in, hope we can avoid him til conf. finals and hopefully we have home court for a game 7.

now everyone likes him, he is not the villain anymore.

6. rawgator06 - Feb 8, 2013 at 10:59 PM

A few more seasons in South Beach and LeBron might just pass Zo and Wade as my favorite Heat. Notice I didnt say most talented or best, just favorite. Hes great for the south florida community

7. allen227 - Feb 8, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Saw it on espn and that was a cool gesture by one of the best players in the world. Class move LeBron, it’s the little things like that that go a long way.

8. yankeepunk3000 - Feb 9, 2013 at 12:08 AM

I really don’t see how Cleveland fans hate him so much he is such a good guy. He gave them 7 elite years and chose to sign somewhere else. He’s not a bad guy or some villain.

• dko83 - Feb 9, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Let me repeat what every CLE fan says, which I’m not, but I see it on these boards all the time.. It’s now that he left, it’s how he left. And I can understand that.. b/c it was absolutely ridiculous. But he’s pretty much winning back all his haters slowly but surely, myself included.

9. dreamzilla - Feb 9, 2013 at 2:21 AM

if i were that fan id whip the ball back at him like it was a game of dodge ball and clock him in the head with it…
    concussion issues for a yr…bahahahaha…would make sportscenters top 10 every day

• fanofthegame79 - Feb 9, 2013 at 8:16 AM

And you would never see the inside of a professional sports arena for the rest of your life. I ran on to the field at a minor league baseball game in Phoenix, AZ and they took a picture of me and banned me for life from the Firebirds (before there were the Diamondbacks). I was 12 at the time….they take that crap seriously.

• thenmoveback - Feb 9, 2013 at 8:19 AM

The only thing to make SC top 10 would be the heat fans kicking ur a$$ in the stands if u tried that.

• daddyghi - Feb 9, 2013 at 8:55 AM

.. and you’ll probably get sued too! that’s a million-dollar man you’re hitting a ball to the head..

• daddyghi - Feb 9, 2013 at 8:56 AM

correction, tens or hundreds of millions of dollar man

10. chris3141084 - Feb 9, 2013 at 2:38 AM

Correct me if I’m wrong but haven’t other players been fined or suspended for throwing things on the stands regardless of whether it was in good fun or not. I’d appreciate an update on this.

• fanofthegame79 - Feb 9, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Ok, I’ll correct you – players do this all the time with their headbands and sweatbands. I think if a fan throws something on the court (trash, etc) and a player threw it back into the stands, they would be suspended due to endangering the fans. But this is very much accepted. I think we forget that sports are still for entertainment – the same thing as going to a movie or a play. Fans pay for (and pray for) stuff like this to happen – it’s like the Lambeau Leap.

• thenmoveback - Feb 9, 2013 at 8:27 AM

No players throw headbands and wrist bands to fans all the time. Besides why would the NBA fine a player for something that makes a fans day. Not like he threw water on a guy or jumped in the stands to fight him. As long as players like LBJ, KD, Pierce are doing positive interactions with fans the NBA will be ok. Besides what they gonna do fine him? He’ll just match it and give the other half to his charity. MVP

11. packersfansuck - Feb 9, 2013 at 6:44 AM

LeBron is still a punk.

12. butterfacesareok - Feb 9, 2013 at 7:00 AM

Still dont have a ring! Cant be the chosen one and goto wade! (Notice wade stayed in miami), take less and join the best sounds like a cowards way out! He can join the same category as malone, payton, and a list aming others who worked for cheap to pretty much buy a ring!

13. nokoolaidcowboy - Feb 9, 2013 at 7:10 AM

Not a James fan but I love it when he gives back in these little ways and makes me eat my words. More athletes need to chill like this. It’s sports entertainment and the fans deserve to get something back now and then.

14. seattlesuperchronic - Feb 9, 2013 at 7:35 AM

chris3141084

Don’t be a wet blanket.

15. DonRSD - Feb 9, 2013 at 8:32 AM

I thought that was awesome.
    Good for LBJ!!!

16. 1972wasalongtimeago - Feb 9, 2013 at 9:18 AM

That was a great part of the game, but my favorite LBJ moment was how he went 9/11 for 30 points, 5 boards, 6 dimes, 3 steals, and DNP’d the whole 4thQ because the team was up 30 against one of the 4 teams in the league who can win the championship.

• thenmoveback - Feb 9, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Well said

17. spavs412 - Feb 9, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I love this! Way to go LBJ.

18. dmaq1 - Feb 9, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I’m not a big LeBron fan but I do think he deserves it all.. he’s an awesome person and a great ambassador for the league.

19. jimeejohnson - Feb 9, 2013 at 12:16 PM

When The King asks you for something, you give it to him. LeBron James continues an American tradition: we’ve got the best basketball player in the world, and he seems to be getting even better.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches