Feb 8, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
There’s a perception that Kevin Love is not happy in Minnesota.
Part of that is fueled by Love saying he didn’t feel the love from the Timberwolves organization last contract time, saying if this was still not a playoff team when his contract is up in a few years he would have to consider his options. Another part of it is fueled by fans of other teams (and front office types) that hope he is unhappy and that Minnesota would be forced to move him. They covet him.
Don’t bet on it.
First, he’s the face of the Timberwolves franchise, the guy that sells tickets and draws sponsors. There aren’t a lot of guys like that around.
And second, he likes it in Minnesota and wants to stay. That’s what he told the Associated Press on Thursday as he returned to practice for the first time in months, following hand surgery.
“I just think that they need to realize that I love being here,” Love said. “I don’t know where the misconception came along, but I love this team. I love this organization, and somewhere along the line it went the other way. I think that wholeheartedly they need to realize that I do want to be here. I have fun being here.”
Love has got two more seasons after this one before he can opt out of his deal. He and the Timberwolves are wed for a few years, for better or worse. This year has been worse, with Love s breaking his shooting hand twice, Ricky Rubio missing the first third of the season and not looking right, and he is not expected back until next month still.
But the better part is coming. It may be next season, but it is coming. This is a good core the Timberwolves have put together. Their time will come.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 37
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 48
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42