Feb 8, 2013, 2:19 PM EST
The New York Knicks play Friday night in Minnesota. The Los Angeles Clippers play Friday night Miami.
NBA protocol would be for both teams to fly to New York Friday night after their games and be in the city all day Saturday leading up to their Sunday afternoon nationally televised showdown.
But the severe winter storm set to pummel the Northeast this weekend could have other plans. The Knicks and Clippers have backup plans in place in case they can’t fly into New York Friday night (which seems a safe bet at this point).
(Knicks coach Mike) Woodson said if they still can’t fly into New York Saturday morning, he will hold a “shootaround practice’’ here in Minnesota. The Clippers are also having travel issues in getting into New York after their game in Miami also on Friday night.
“If we can’t get back there because of the snow we just got to adjust,’’ Woodson said. “Let’s just hope the game’s not cancelled. That’s my whole thing.’’
Boston is the city in the direct path of the storm and the Celtics are scheduled to host the Nuggets on Sunday. While Boston is at home already (having beat the Lakers Thursday night) Denver plays in Cleveland Saturday and is supposed to fly in that night for a Sunday game. That also is potentially at risk.
The league is hesitant to cancel any games, particularly nationally televised marquee ones. But the league did postpone what was to be the first game in the Nets new Barclays Center in Brooklyn in the wake of hurricane Sandy. The league has said it is monitoring the situation.
Just something to think about as you watch the Weather Channel this weekend.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 0
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 8
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13