Feb 8, 2013, 2:19 PM EST
The New York Knicks play Friday night in Minnesota. The Los Angeles Clippers play Friday night Miami.
NBA protocol would be for both teams to fly to New York Friday night after their games and be in the city all day Saturday leading up to their Sunday afternoon nationally televised showdown.
But the severe winter storm set to pummel the Northeast this weekend could have other plans. The Knicks and Clippers have backup plans in place in case they can’t fly into New York Friday night (which seems a safe bet at this point).
(Knicks coach Mike) Woodson said if they still can’t fly into New York Saturday morning, he will hold a “shootaround practice’’ here in Minnesota. The Clippers are also having travel issues in getting into New York after their game in Miami also on Friday night.
“If we can’t get back there because of the snow we just got to adjust,’’ Woodson said. “Let’s just hope the game’s not cancelled. That’s my whole thing.’’
Boston is the city in the direct path of the storm and the Celtics are scheduled to host the Nuggets on Sunday. While Boston is at home already (having beat the Lakers Thursday night) Denver plays in Cleveland Saturday and is supposed to fly in that night for a Sunday game. That also is potentially at risk.
The league is hesitant to cancel any games, particularly nationally televised marquee ones. But the league did postpone what was to be the first game in the Nets new Barclays Center in Brooklyn in the wake of hurricane Sandy. The league has said it is monitoring the situation.
Just something to think about as you watch the Weather Channel this weekend.
- Derrick Rose leaves Bulls-Nuggets game with hamstring tightness 22
- Kobe Bryant: “We’re not a 3-11 team. We’re not.” 18
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 15
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 28
- PBT’s Monday night NBA Winners/Losers: That looks more like the Cavaliers we expected 12
- Carmelo Anthony exits Knicks-Rockets game with apparent back injury 9
- Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant progressing in rehab, Westbrook could play Friday 6
- Lakers forward Xavier Henry ruptured Achilles in practice, out for season 23