Feb 8, 2013, 3:06 PM EDT
UPDATE 3:06 pm: Andre Miller didn’t come out and directly ask for a trade in the comments below, but he came pretty close.
Not going to happen, Nuggets GM Masai Ujiri said to the Denver Post. In no uncertain terms.
“Andre is not going anywhere. We want to win.”
Other teams will still call, but as explained below Miller is key to what the Nuggets do. The Nuggets depth, and Miller’s smart leadership when on the floor is crucial. And he’s on a really reasonable contract. He’s not getting moved. So let’s move on.
1:37 pm: Andre Miller is a great fit in Denver because he is a contrast — the speedy Ty Lawson starts but when Miller comes in you get as smart a point guard as there is in the game running the show. The 13-year veteran sees the game and anticipates it in a way few players do, which makes him fun to watch. Plus, he’s the best lob passer in the game.
But he’s a little frustrated in Denver because he wants more run. And with a 15-3 run going on for Denver, there are not a lot of changes to the rotation coming.
“I want more minutes,” Miller said. “If we were losing I would really be complaining. But it’s going as it goes.”
“I don’t know how much longer they want me here. I definitely would like to contribute more,” Miller added when I asked if he wants to finish in Denver. “I’m not just going to sit back and settle in and be a backup and let my career just fade away. I’m competitive in that way.”
Miller wants to contend, like most veterans he wants a ring. Denver is not a contender — they may be the four seed in the West and get to the second round, but they are not on the Thunder/Clippers/Spurs level in the West. Maybe that’s what he’s thinking.
Miller makes a very reasonable $5 million this year and next, and he has one more year on his deal for $4.6 million but he can be bought out of that for $2 million. That and his production — he has a PER of 15.2 to go with his 8,7 points and 5.8 assists in 25 minutes a game — make him a player other teams will call about.
But with things going well in Denver, you really think they are going to move him? Have to be a heck of an offer.
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 2
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 48
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (71)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights