Andre Miller wants a bigger role in Denver or wherever. GM says Miller not being traded.

Feb 8, 2013, 3:06 PM EDT

Nuggets guard Miller drives to the basket as Mavericks guard Jones defends during the second half of their NBA basketball game in Dallas Reuters

UPDATE 3:06 pm: Andre Miller didn’t come out and directly ask for a trade in the comments below, but he came pretty close.

Not going to happen, Nuggets GM Masai Ujiri said to the Denver Post. In no uncertain terms.

“Andre is not going anywhere. We want to win.”

Other teams will still call, but as explained below Miller is key to what the Nuggets do. The Nuggets depth, and Miller’s smart leadership when on the floor is crucial. And he’s on a really reasonable contract. He’s not getting moved. So let’s move on.

1:37 pm: Andre Miller is a great fit in Denver because he is a contrast — the speedy Ty Lawson starts but when Miller comes in you get as smart a point guard as there is in the game running the show. The 13-year veteran sees the game and anticipates it in a way few players do, which makes him fun to watch. Plus, he’s the best lob passer in the game.

But he’s a little frustrated in Denver because he wants more run. And with a 15-3 run going on for Denver, there are not a lot of changes to the rotation coming.

Miller expressed his feelings to the Colorado Springs Gazette (via CBSSports Eye on Basketball):

“I want more minutes,” Miller said. “If we were losing I would really be complaining. But it’s going as it goes.”

“I don’t know how much longer they want me here. I definitely would like to contribute more,” Miller added when I asked if he wants to finish in Denver. “I’m not just going to sit back and settle in and be a backup and let my career just fade away. I’m competitive in that way.”

Miller wants to contend, like most veterans he wants a ring. Denver is not a contender — they may be the four seed in the West and get to the second round, but they are not on the Thunder/Clippers/Spurs level in the West. Maybe that’s what he’s thinking.

Miller makes a very reasonable $5 million this year and next, and he has one more year on his deal for $4.6 million but he can be bought out of that for $2 million. That and his production — he has a PER of 15.2 to go with his 8,7 points and 5.8 assists in 25 minutes a game — make him a player other teams will call about.

But with things going well in Denver, you really think they are going to move him? Have to be a heck of an offer.

1. broncobeta - Feb 8, 2013 at 1:56 PM

“Denver is not a contender — they may be the four seed in the West and get to the second round, but they are not on the Thunder/Clippers/Spurs level in the West.”

I do not argue that the Nuggets are contenders. I also do not argue that the Clippers are contenders as well. I think the Nuggets can beat the Clippers in a 7 game series. I also think the Clippers can beat the Nuggets in a seven game series. However, the Thunder and Spurs will most likely come out on top against either Denver or LA.

2. bjerkrulez - Feb 8, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Why not trade him to the celtics since they need a PG for let’s say wilson chandler? >.<

• football58 - Feb 8, 2013 at 3:31 PM

You want to trade Miller for a guy on his own team. I will assume you were drunk when you posted this.

3. bjerkrulez - Feb 8, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Oops I mean him and wilson chandler for lee and bass hehe

4. heat256 - Feb 8, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Andre Miller for Mike Miller. Has Denver used their amnesty yet?

5. quizon42 - Feb 8, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Denver will pass the Clippers by end of season. people forget that they took the Lakers to 7 games last playoffs and almost pulled it off. dont sweep them under the rug, they’re an elite TEAM! emphasis on TEAM!

6. cj1403 - Feb 8, 2013 at 3:02 PM

They used it on birdman

7. lucifershuttlesworth - Feb 8, 2013 at 5:54 PM

why you bitching dre? at 36 you are an integral part of a nearly elite team that has the talent, depth and coaching to go deep in the playoffs. Keep your eyes on the prize and enjoy the ride.

8. nodindenver - Feb 9, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Really getting tired of his whining! He is on a TEAM going on 9 straight Wins and making this place really proud yet, poor Dre is spouting off. Get over it and start telling Javale to man up and they do stand a chance of making the Nugs a contender.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches