Feb 7, 2013, 3:07 PM EDT
You’ve probably heard of guys growing letting their facial hair grow for the postseason. The Clippers did it last year with hilarious results — Blake Griffin made Paul Pierce‘s beard look lustrous and full by comparison. The tradition of playoff beards has been around a long time in all sports, but the Dallas Mavericks are doing something new with it. The Mavs are in a big hole in the Western Conference at 21-28, so why wait until the playoffs (that they probably won’t make) for some beard growing fun, right?
“We said we’re not going to shave until we’re back to .500,” Nowitzki said. “So it’s been rough. There’s been some itching going on. And since we’re still down seven games below .500, that’s a long way to go.”
Via Brad Townsend | DallasNews.com
The mediocre beard is a fantastic new tradition, but I’m not happy with the conditions. Go big or go home.
Nowitzki said the trimming of beards in the neck area is allowed, which is a good thing “because it was getting stuck on my shirts and stuff.”
No neckbeards, guys? Bogus. Grossing everyone out with unruly facial hair with no trimming should be a condition for all teams under .500. You shouldn’t be able to look pretty losing, you know?
The good news is, this thing could carry out for the rest of the season. The Mavs are seven games under .500, so we could have a three month beard going for guys like Dirk by the end of the season, which would make for some fantastic ZZ Top basketball. I’m on a month beard myself, and let me tell you, it is not attractive. This is a serious task the Mavericks should not take lightly.
Let me beat you to it: yes, it’s a slow news day.
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 0
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 12
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 12
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 17
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 10
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 46
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 23