Mavericks assure Vince Carter he will not be traded

Feb 7, 2013, 5:15 PM EDT

Vince Carter, Victor Claver, LaMarcus Aldridge AP

There were times you could count on Dallas to be a player at the trade deadline — at Mark Cuban’s urging the Mavericks have been aggressive in team building.

But the long-term plan in Dallas now is to maintain their cap space for next summer and go after big-time free agents with a max deal (they have to look at what is going on with the Lakers the last 48 hours and smile). Which means the only guys likely to be moved are ones whose salaries carry over.

Like maybe Vince Carter.

But he is staying put. Mavs coach Rick Carlisle told Carter himself, reports NBA.com.

“A couple days later (Carlisle) pulled me aside and said all the trade rumors, because I didn’t know much about it, he said it’s not going to happen,” Carter told NBA.com after Wednesday’s win that pushed Dallas’ record to 21-28 as it began a massively important run of seven of its next eight games at home.

“I’m happy where I am. I feel like my role here is needed,” Carter continued. “It’s a perfect position as a mentor, as a player, as a spark. I’m OK with that. I feel like for me, if they need me to start I’ll do it. If they need me to come off the bench, I’ll do it. I’m still going to play my same game and be effective. I’m a team guy and I want to see our team have success.”

Carter is a real value for the Mavs — 12.8 points a game as a sixth man, all for $3 million this season and $3.1 million next season. The Mavs have gotten even more out of him recently, including shooting 45 percent from three his last eight games. Carter has accepted his role as a veteran in a way many former stars cannot and is thriving in that role. Dallas would need a lot to move him, and they are better off keeping him around.

Latest Posts
  1. Kevin Love leaving Team USA not helpful, certainly not devastating either

Jul 26, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT

US forward Kevin Durant and US forward K Getty Images

Kevin Durant is the perfect international power forward anyway.

2. Report: Omri Casspi finalizing one-year contract with Sacramento

Jul 26, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT

Omri Casspi

The way the Kings handled this lets them keep Quincy Acy.

3. Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach?

Jul 26, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Byron Scott Byron Scott

Making sure Kobe Bryant is happy in his final two seasons in Los Angeles seems to be at the top of the list.

4. James Harden says he considered himself a role player during days with OKC

Jul 26, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Houston Rockets Getty Images

Harden seems to backtrack a bit on comments Chandler Parsons took offense to.

5. Carmelo Anthony on his free agent decision: ‘It was pretty much always Chicago or New York’

Jul 25, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers v New York Knicks Getty Images

Anthony reportedly strongly considered the Lakers too, but he says that wasn’t really the case.

6. Report: Kevin Johnson no longer part of search for new head of players’ union, vote expected Monday

Jul 25, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT

Kevin Johnson

The union for the players continues to struggle to get some competent leadership in place.

7. Joakim Noah is happy for LeBron, but hopes Bulls ‘can kick his a– as many times as possible’

Jul 25, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

Joakim Noah continues to be brutally honest when speaking about his team’s competition.

8. Top 10 dunks of Las Vegas Summer League (VIDEO)

Jul 25, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT

Andrew Wiggins AP

The Andrew Wiggins spin and dunk is a thing of beauty.

9. Report: Hawks sign Shelvin Mack to three-year, $7.3 million deal

Jul 25, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Milwaukee Bucks Getty Images

He is a solid backup to have while Dennis Schroder develops.

10. Report: Will Cherry drawing interest from Cavaliers, Raptors

Jul 25, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT

Miami Heat v Cleveland Cavaliers Getty Images

Will Cherry was fun to watch at Las Vegas Summer League.

11. Tom Thibodeau considers Joakim Noah, Pau Gasol and Taj Gibson starters

Jul 25, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Bulls also must make room for Nikola Mirotic in frontcourt

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches