Mavericks assure Vince Carter he will not be traded

Feb 7, 2013, 5:15 PM EDT

Vince Carter, Victor Claver, LaMarcus Aldridge AP

There were times you could count on Dallas to be a player at the trade deadline — at Mark Cuban’s urging the Mavericks have been aggressive in team building.

But the long-term plan in Dallas now is to maintain their cap space for next summer and go after big-time free agents with a max deal (they have to look at what is going on with the Lakers the last 48 hours and smile). Which means the only guys likely to be moved are ones whose salaries carry over.

Like maybe Vince Carter.

But he is staying put. Mavs coach Rick Carlisle told Carter himself, reports NBA.com.

“A couple days later (Carlisle) pulled me aside and said all the trade rumors, because I didn’t know much about it, he said it’s not going to happen,” Carter told NBA.com after Wednesday’s win that pushed Dallas’ record to 21-28 as it began a massively important run of seven of its next eight games at home.

“I’m happy where I am. I feel like my role here is needed,” Carter continued. “It’s a perfect position as a mentor, as a player, as a spark. I’m OK with that. I feel like for me, if they need me to start I’ll do it. If they need me to come off the bench, I’ll do it. I’m still going to play my same game and be effective. I’m a team guy and I want to see our team have success.”

Carter is a real value for the Mavs — 12.8 points a game as a sixth man, all for $3 million this season and $3.1 million next season. The Mavs have gotten even more out of him recently, including shooting 45 percent from three his last eight games. Carter has accepted his role as a veteran in a way many former stars cannot and is thriving in that role. Dallas would need a lot to move him, and they are better off keeping him around.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks

Jul 30, 2014, 11:14 AM EDT

Anthony Bennett Anthony Bennett

Just like Love, Bennett is not going to be playing in any games this summer until a deal is done.

2. Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system

Jul 30, 2014, 10:32 AM EDT

Sam Hinkie, Nerlens Noel AP

Sixers put a multi-year plan together based on current rules, which would be adversely affected with a quick change to the system.

3. Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench?

Jul 30, 2014, 8:40 AM EDT

Mike Krzyzewski Mike Krzyzewski

“Everyone talks about match-ups (with big teams such as Spain), people have to match-up against us, too.” — USA Basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski

4. Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat

Jul 30, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

LeBron still not as popular as prior to The Decision, though. It’s only a matter of time until he is.

5. Dion Waiters explains tweet saying he wouldn’t accept bench role

Jul 30, 2014, 1:30 AM EDT

2013 Cleveland Cavaliers Media Day 2013 Cleveland Cavaliers Media Day

Cavaliers guard says initial response stemmed from his straightforward approach, confidence

6. NBA considering charity All-Star game in South Africa

Jul 30, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT

Nelson Mandela Nelson Mandela

Collective Bargaining Agreement limits offseason charity games to United States and Canada

7. Report: Gregg Popovich had hip-replacement surgery

Jul 29, 2014, 10:33 PM EDT

2014 NBA Finals - Game Five Getty Images

Popovich signed contract extension with Spurs this offseason

8. Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold

Jul 29, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT

Image (1) durant_usa_fun-thumb-250x159-20234.jpg for post 4140

“That 2010 team was one of the best experiences I’ve ever had. I think we have a team that’s even better.” —Kevin Durant

9. Report: Magic signing Peyton Siva to unguaranteed contract

Jul 29, 2014, 8:50 PM EDT

Detroit Pistons v Orlando Magic Detroit Pistons v Orlando Magic

Orlando reportedly plans to send former Pistons point guard to D-League

10. Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did.

Jul 29, 2014, 7:51 PM EDT

2014 USA Basketball Men's National Team Practice Getty Images

“I just tell everybody that I’m here in Oklahoma City, I love it here. Who knows what will happen.” —Kevin Durant on his 2016 free agency.

11. Report: Eric Bledsoe-Suns ‘relationship is on the express lane to being ruined’

Jul 29, 2014, 7:11 PM EDT

Eric Bledsoe, Jeff Hornacek, Goran Dragic Eric Bledsoe, Jeff Hornacek, Goran Dragic

Bledsoe reportedly resents how differently Pistons, Jazz and Rockets treated their restricted free agents

12. Report: Mike Scott considering ‘lucrative’ offer to play in Russia

Jul 29, 2014, 6:22 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Indiana Pacers - Game Seven Getty Images

CSKA-Moscow wants to poach Scott from Atlanta Hawks

13. Mavericks sign Ivan Johnson

Jul 29, 2014, 5:37 PM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Atlanta Hawks Dallas Mavericks v Atlanta Hawks

Johnson gets NBA contract after eventful summer league

14. Report: Timberwolves told Kevin Love to sit out the World Cup

Jul 29, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT

Kevin Love Kevin Love

I’m not sure Love is taking advice from Minnesota right now

15. Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable

Jul 29, 2014, 4:11 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers Introduce Byron Scott Getty Images

Lakers introduce Scott as new coach in press conference

16. Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy”

Jul 29, 2014, 3:24 PM EDT

2014 USA Basketball Men's National Team Practice Getty Images

Rose said he was disappointed but he understands ‘Melo’s decision.

17. LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video)

Jul 29, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT

LeBron James LeBron James

Want to see LeBron strip down to his underwear?

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches