Feb 7, 2013, 9:09 PM EDT
This isn’t much different than the original estimate, but the Lakers have now made it somewhat official.
The team’s official release, in its entirety:
“Los Angeles Lakers forward/center Pau Gasol, who injured his right foot in Tuesday’s game against the Nets in Brooklyn, returned to Los Angeles from Boston this morning where he was examined by foot specialist Dr. Kenneth Jung.
“Jung’s diagnosis confirmed that Gasol has a tear of the plantar fascia in his right foot. Gasol is expected to be out a minimum of 6-8 weeks.”
The operative word there, of course, is “minimum.”
Eight weeks from today puts us at April 4, at which point the Lakers would have just seven games remaining in the regular season.
Many believe that the multiple injuries sustained by L.A. since the very beginning, ones that have legitimately impacted the team’s ability to have a chance to come together, will have contributed to the Lakers being so far out of contention by then that Gasol’s return won’t be necessary.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 16
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 26
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 29
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30