Feb 7, 2013, 8:36 PM EDT
All-Star Saturday night once again will start off with the Sears Shooting Stars challenge — the event where NBA stars, retired NBA legends and some WNBA players (who often are the best shooters of the group in the event) have to drain a series of shots, ending with a half courter.
You know, the event where you go get chips, salsa and another a beer and miss half of it, then come back to see the half court shots.
Maybe you should watch the entire thing this year, the NBA has an interesting lineup. Some real shooters who could make the event interesting.
There will be four teams of three, two representing the West and two the East.
For the Western Conference it will be NBA players James Harden of the Houston Rockets and Russell Westbrook of the Oklahoma City Thunder participating. Those two will be busy all weekend — Friday night they coach the celebrity game, Saturday night they are Shooting Stars, then Sunday they are in the All-Star Game itself.
Joining Westbrook and Harden for the West are WNBA stars Maya Moore of the Minnesota Lynx and the Seattle Storm’s Tina Thompson (the WNBA all-time leading scorer); plus two NBA legends who know how to knock down big shots — Sam Cassell and Robert Horry.
For the East, the NBA with big men who can shoot — Chris Bosh of the Miami Heat and Brook Lopez of the Brooklyn Nets. They will be joined by WNBA stars Swin Cash of the Chicago Sky, and Tamika Catchings (the WNBA Finals MVP from Indiana), plus NBA legends Muggsy Bogues, and Hall of Famer Dominique Wilkins,
The Sears Shooting Stars challenge places six spots on the floor (with increasing difficulty) where the team of three (one NBA player, one WNBA and one legend) has to knock down a shot. They rotate through the shots in order (if Westbrook misses the free throw Moore quickly shoots it next) and they have to knock down the shot before moving on to the next space. The event is timed, whoever does it the fastest wins.
This is part of the All-Star Saturday night events which includes the Slam Dunk Competition, Three Point Shootout, Skills Competition and more. It will be broadcast live on TNT.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 65
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 13
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32