Dwight Howard fires back at Kobe, says he has to watch out for himself

Feb 7, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT

Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard AP

Well Dwight Howard, you wanted to be the man on a bigger stage. Welcome to all that entails.

Howard has been banged up this season and while he’s been good he has not been the dominant force Lakers fans expected. And now they need him to be — the Lakers are trying to make a playoff push and a lot of that falls on the shoulders of Dwight Howard to be a leader with Pau Gasol out injured for six weeks (at least).

It falls on Howard’s shoulder, the one with a torn labrum he has struggled to play through. And the bad back that hasn’t been right all season. He’s been out the last three games because of the shoulder. Kobe Bryant decided to push Howard in a very Kobe and very public way, saying the team needs him and to just suck it up.

Howard didn’t like that at all, and shot back at shootaround in Boston Thursday. Howard went through shootaround but is a game-time decision tonight. Here is what Howard said, via Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com. On Kobe telling him to play:

“That’s his opinion. That’s it. He’s not a doctor, I’m not a doctor.”’

What really boiled Howard’s blood was calling his competitiveness into question.

“”I want to play, I mean, why wouldn’t I want to play? But, at the same time, this is my career, this is my future, this is my life. I can’t leave that up to anybody else because nobody else is going to take care of me. So, if people are pissed off that I don’t play or if I do play, whatever it may be, so what? This is my career. If I go down, then what? Everybody’s life is going to go on. I don’t want to have another summer where I’m rehabbing and trying to get healthy again. I want to come back and have another great year. That’s what I want to do.”

Kobe did backtrack a little at shootaround, saying he doesn’t know how Howard’s body feels.

Howard has said recently that he tried to play through back issues last year and it made them worse and forced the surgery he had and that he is still struggling to overcome. Howard said he learned a lesson from that.

And Howard knows he is a free agent next summer, he’s looking at a max deal. He’ll get that so long as the injuries don’t hold teams back.

For his first seven years in the league Howard was basically injury free, missing just four games. But the last couple years have been a struggle for the 27-year-old physically and he is struggling to deal with this.

My feeling is Kobe’s message got through, Howard will play against the Celtics. But how many more games before he aggravates that shoulder again? Can he really play through it and be effective? Can he lead the Lakers on the defensive end?

As I have said before, at the start of the season it was a lock Howard would re-sign with the Lakers this summer. Now I think it’s still likely, but that lock is open and other teams are going to try to push through that door.

Latest Posts
  1. Lakers work out seven NBA veteran free agents beyond Michael Beasley

Aug 28, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT

New Orleans Pelicans v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Dexter Pittman, Greg Stiemsma, Daniel Orton, Bobby Brown, Toney Douglas, Ben Hansbrough and Malcolm Lee try out

2. Robbie Hummel to release hip-hop album. Wait. What?

Aug 27, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT

Robbie Hummel Robbie Hummel

NBA news you definitely didn’t expect to read today

3. Jerry Colangelo on James Harden leading Team USA: ‘He’s the one’

Aug 27, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT

Puerto Rico v United States Getty Images

Rockets guard continues to draw praise after offseason of petty comments

4. Dion Waiters: Kevin Love ‘thinks I’m underrated’ and ‘knows I pass the ball’

Aug 27, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT

Dion Walters, Kevin Love Dion Walters, Kevin Love

Waiters on the possibility of playing with Love, LeBron James and Kyrie Irving: ‘I’ve got to destroy my opponent’

5. Michael Beasley gets second Lakers workout

Aug 27, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Miami Heat Getty Images

Former No. 2 remains unsigned after disappointing season with Heat

6. Doc Rivers got PAID

Aug 27, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT

San Antonio Spurs v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

New contract with Clippers makes Rivers the NBA’s highest-paid coach

7. Russian guard Dmitry Kulagin, with Kings interest, considering jumping to NBA

Aug 27, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT

Adidas Eurocamp - Day 3 Getty Images

Kulagin, 22, went undrafted and is now an unrestricted free agent

8. Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan

Aug 27, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Miami Heat Cleveland Cavaliers v Miami Heat

Go back to July 1 and consider the possibility of LeBron James and Kevin Love playing for Cleveland this season

9. Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers

Aug 27, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT

Kevin Love Kevin Love

Minnesota’s owner tried to point out some of Love’s flaws once the deal was done.

10. Doc Rivers signs contract with Clippers through 2019

Aug 27, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT

Doc Rivers, Steve Ballmer Doc Rivers, Steve Ballmer

Clippers owner Steve Ballmer calls keeping Rivers ‘one of my top priorities’

11. Donald Sterling doesn’t appeal, basically throws in towel on owning Clippers

Aug 27, 2014, 11:46 AM EDT

Donald Sterling, V. Stiviano Donald Sterling, V. Stiviano

Donald Sterling will try to embarrass the league going forward, but he will not ever own the Clippers again.

12. Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner

Aug 27, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT

Miami Heat v New York Knicks Getty Images

Shumpert and other Knicks will love an offense with player and ball movement… if ‘Melo shares the rock.

13. Sixers GM says he never had conversations about acquiring Anthony Bennett

Aug 27, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT

Sam Hinkie

Sixers value a pick in next year’s draft more than they do Bennett at this time.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches