Feb 6, 2013, 3:05 PM EDT
It’s part of the NBA’s new Collective Bargaining Agreement — it is better financially for a potential free agent to become a free agent and re-sign with his team than to just sign an extension. So even if a sure max player has no intention of leaving a team, he has to at least dip his toe in the free agent waters to get paid.
Which means if you want to call up Chris Paul this summer and try to sway him away from the Clippers, you can try. It almost certainly will fail, but you can try.
Dwight Howard’s agent is going to get a lot of calls. Smart money says he still takes the money — larger raises and one more guaranteed year — that the Lakers can offer. But at the start of the season it seemed a lock he would stay, now nothing about the Lakers seems a lock. Howard is not getting traded and when push comes to shove it’s unlikely he walks away from L.A.
But the Rockets are still going to make a push to get him, tweets Chris Broussard of ESPN. However, it’s the other player the Rockets may go after that is more interesting.
Two of the toughest questions a GM could face this summer are “How much would you pay Andrew Bynum a year and for how many years?” When healthy and playing he is one of the rare quality old-school centers in the league. He can defend, rebound and score in the paint. But how healthy will he be and for how long?
In part the answer to those questions will be based on how he plays once he returns to the court. The money is going to be big — if not max pretty close to it — but the question is length. How long do you want to be committed to a guy with knee issues?
Philly should be in the drivers seat in negotiations, but if another team — say Houston — stepped in with more money or more guaranteed years, would Philly match? The Sixers got him to be an anchor to build around in the East, a counter to the small ball Heat. But what is the number where they think it’s a bad deal.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 0
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10