Feb 6, 2013, 4:36 PM EST
There is a sense around the NBA that performance-enhancing drugs are not an issue in the NBA the way they have shown to be in baseball and football. Ask around the league and you generally get a “never seen it, never heard of it really” response from players and front office types.
Consider me skeptical. I’ve seen human nature and if you give people an incentive — lots of money, fame, all the perks of an NBA lifestyle — some of them will do whatever it takes to get it. If you think a drug that helps someone get stronger and recover more quickly wouldn’t help an NBA player, you are naïve.
For the NBA, the question is human growth hormone (HGH). And in an interview on WCCO in Minnesota NBA Commissioner David Stern said he wants to see testing for it before he leaves office in a year. The transcription of the interview is by Ben Golliver at Sports Illustrated’s The Point Forward.
“We watch what’s going on in baseball, we watch the negotiations that are going in with football, and it is my expectation that by next season will be doing blood testing for HGH,” Stern told WCCO radio in Minnesota. “Our players have been terrific. they lead this in some ways, saying, ‘ We do not want to have anything less than the best.’ That’s been the way it’s been since 1983….
“If I say I don’t have a concern, everyone says I’m a Pollyanna,” Stern said. “I don’t have any reason to know one way or another. My guess is and my hope is that it’s not widely used in the NBA.”
The MLB is just about to start in-season testing for HGH as they battle the latest round of PED allegations involving some of the biggest names in the sport. At his Super Bowl press conference NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said he expects HGH testing by next season.
The NBA needs to join this list. I hope when they test they don’t find anything. But sorry if I don’t believe a every person who could would stay within the law if they thought they could have an NBA career out of it.
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 0
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 0
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 18
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 18
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)