Feb 6, 2013, 4:36 PM EDT
There is a sense around the NBA that performance-enhancing drugs are not an issue in the NBA the way they have shown to be in baseball and football. Ask around the league and you generally get a “never seen it, never heard of it really” response from players and front office types.
Consider me skeptical. I’ve seen human nature and if you give people an incentive — lots of money, fame, all the perks of an NBA lifestyle — some of them will do whatever it takes to get it. If you think a drug that helps someone get stronger and recover more quickly wouldn’t help an NBA player, you are naïve.
For the NBA, the question is human growth hormone (HGH). And in an interview on WCCO in Minnesota NBA Commissioner David Stern said he wants to see testing for it before he leaves office in a year. The transcription of the interview is by Ben Golliver at Sports Illustrated’s The Point Forward.
“We watch what’s going on in baseball, we watch the negotiations that are going in with football, and it is my expectation that by next season will be doing blood testing for HGH,” Stern told WCCO radio in Minnesota. “Our players have been terrific. they lead this in some ways, saying, ‘ We do not want to have anything less than the best.’ That’s been the way it’s been since 1983….
“If I say I don’t have a concern, everyone says I’m a Pollyanna,” Stern said. “I don’t have any reason to know one way or another. My guess is and my hope is that it’s not widely used in the NBA.”
The MLB is just about to start in-season testing for HGH as they battle the latest round of PED allegations involving some of the biggest names in the sport. At his Super Bowl press conference NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said he expects HGH testing by next season.
The NBA needs to join this list. I hope when they test they don’t find anything. But sorry if I don’t believe a every person who could would stay within the law if they thought they could have an NBA career out of it.
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 14
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 31
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 85
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 55
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4