Feb 6, 2013, 8:19 PM EDT
While officials and leaders in Sacramento are digging in for a fight to save their team, the efforts of the potential new owners to move the Kings to Seattle for next season are moving ahead.
NBA Commissioner David Stern confirmed Wednesday that the Chris Hansen/Steve Baller ownership group — which has an agreement to buy the Kings from the Maloof family — has filed for relocation to move the team to Seattle. The Associated Press has the details.
Stern spoke on Wednesday night in Minneapolis before the Timberwolves hosted San Antonio. He called the Seattle group, led by Chris Hansen and Steve Ballmer, “very strong,” and that the appropriate committees have been convened to look over the proposed sale of the Kings and the prospective move to Seattle.
This really isn’t a surprise; the new owners have moved quickly on the issue and have worked hard to create an impression that the deal is done.
Eventually the fate of the Kings is going to come down to a vote of the owners.
There may be lawyers and judges involved, but eventually if the other NBA owners approve the sale of the team to the Hansen/Ballmer group the only question would be when the team would move. Sacramento is working hard to put together an offer that appeals to the NBA owners as well as to throw up hurdles in the path of the sale, but eventually the vote of the owners is what will sway the deal one way or another.
Come All-Star weekend when Stern speaks to the media we should have a better sense of which way the owners are leaning on that vote. The vote would take place at the league’s Board of Governor’s meeting in April in New York.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 19
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28