Feb 6, 2013, 8:19 PM EDT
While officials and leaders in Sacramento are digging in for a fight to save their team, the efforts of the potential new owners to move the Kings to Seattle for next season are moving ahead.
NBA Commissioner David Stern confirmed Wednesday that the Chris Hansen/Steve Baller ownership group — which has an agreement to buy the Kings from the Maloof family — has filed for relocation to move the team to Seattle. The Associated Press has the details.
Stern spoke on Wednesday night in Minneapolis before the Timberwolves hosted San Antonio. He called the Seattle group, led by Chris Hansen and Steve Ballmer, “very strong,” and that the appropriate committees have been convened to look over the proposed sale of the Kings and the prospective move to Seattle.
This really isn’t a surprise; the new owners have moved quickly on the issue and have worked hard to create an impression that the deal is done.
Eventually the fate of the Kings is going to come down to a vote of the owners.
There may be lawyers and judges involved, but eventually if the other NBA owners approve the sale of the team to the Hansen/Ballmer group the only question would be when the team would move. Sacramento is working hard to put together an offer that appeals to the NBA owners as well as to throw up hurdles in the path of the sale, but eventually the vote of the owners is what will sway the deal one way or another.
Come All-Star weekend when Stern speaks to the media we should have a better sense of which way the owners are leaning on that vote. The vote would take place at the league’s Board of Governor’s meeting in April in New York.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 7
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 8
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 41
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11