Feb 6, 2013, 3:28 PM EST
It is widely expected the Utah Jazz are going to trade one of their two big men before the trade deadline — Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap are both in the last year of their contracts and they are not both coming back.
The Spurs are in the lead to land Jefferson, reports long-time hoops writer Chris Sheridan of SheridanHoops.com.
The San Antonio Spurs are the front-runners to land Al Jefferson in a trade with the Utah Jazz – and they are frontrunners like Secretariat was in the 1973 Belmont Stakes….
“Those teams are practically incestuous, they are on such good terms internally,” one NBA source told me Wednesday.
With Enes Kanter and Derrick Favors on the bench, the Jazz don’t lose that much by shipping out Jefferson, and it’s not like the Jazz are title contenders anyway. What they could use is a point guard and Sheridan notes Patty Mills is on the Spurs roster.
Deals have a way of falling apart, and with these two teams there are not a lot of leaks, but don’t be shocked that if out of the blue in the next couple weeks a deal between these two appears “out of nowhere.”
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 2
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 30