Feb 6, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
You can take all your Pau Gasol deadline trade deals and walk them over to the trash can…
Gasol will be out for six weeks with a partially torn plantar fascia, tweets Ken Berger of CBSSports.com. The Lakers confirmed he is out but refused to provide a timetable until he gets a second opinion. But six weeks is the minimum and the injury announcement was expected after Gasol said he heard a pop in his foot late in the Lakers win over the Nets Tuesday. Berger had a few more details.
Gasol would be back in late March if he just gets rehab, in time to help the Lakers during their playoff push. Surgery could cost him the rest of the season.
The plantar fascia is the thick membrane that runs along the bottom of the foot. Gasol had been suffering inflammation there — a pretty common situation among NBA players — and the treatment is primarily rest. But Gasol played through it and… here we are.
The Lakers had been 3-0 with Pau Gasol as the starter since Dwight Howard went down with a shoulder injury. The Lakers also are without backup big Jordan Hill, out for the season following hip surgery.
This is going to put more pressure on Howard to step up and perform — the Lakers playoff chances basically will ride on what his bad back and shoulder can support. A banged up Howard has not lived up to expectations in Los Angeles, but this is the kind of situation where people expect their stars to step up and take charge.
It’s on Howard to do that.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50