Feb 6, 2013, 8:35 AM EDT
Billy Hunter is not out yet as head of the NBA players union, and as anybody entrenched in a position of power for a long time (since 1996) he is not going quietly. He will fight for his position.
But plenty of jockeying for his position is going on.
We told you how some agents were angling to get Donald Fehr in the spot — an aggressive negotiator who had been head of the baseball union — but others are looking at a man high up the ranks of the Obama administration, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of the Yahoo Sports Network.
As the NBPA prepares for the possibility of the league’s players voting the union’s current executive director, Billy Hunter, out of office, B. Todd Jones, the acting director of the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, will be a target should a change be made, sources said.
The NBPA will use an executive search firm to coordinate the process, sources said.
Jones is interesting, but he kind of has a job right now.
My guess is Hunter will get his walking papers All-Star weekend (albeit probably with a healthy severance package). The report by an independent law firm raising a number of ethical red flags combined with pressure from agents that want him out is just going to be too much.
Then the players need to think about what kind of person they want to help them negotiate the next CBA for them in 2018. Fehr is king of the labor stoppage, he is very aggressive. You can bet the agents like that. But is someone like Jones, who can stand his ground without being as abrasive, be a better call? You can be sure it’s not just those two lobbying for a shot in the big chair.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 6
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 42
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon