Feb 6, 2013, 8:46 PM EDT
The race for the 8-seed in the Eastern Conference might be won by whichever team can simply stay healthy. Boston has obviously suffered big blows, but Philadelphia is right there with them. Already missing Thaddeus Young for three weeks because of a hamstring strain and Andrew Bynum for who knows how long, the Sixers received even more bad injury news today on guard Jason Richardson:
Philadelphia has actually played pretty well since Richardson last played in a game, going 4-3 during that period. Still, even with Richardson’s struggles shooting the ball, the Sixers just need capable bodies on the floor given their injury and depth issues. Richardson was averaging 10.5 points a game this year on 40 percent shooting from the field and 34 percent from 3-point land — both near career-lows — but you’d like to think he would have turned it around with more time in a new system.
At 32-years-old with a lot of recorded miles, we’ve probably seen the last of the high flying guard that was one of the league’s most underrated dunkers in his prime. Richardson had evolved his game to become a deadly spot-up shooter over the years, but with his shot abandoning him this year and his athleticism falling off, he struggled to contribute much in 33 starts for the Sixers this season.
Getting surgery to repair torn cartilage in his left knee is a tough break for Richardson, but it’s hard to think it’s the end of the line. Richardson has played in a variety of different systems, and he’s shown he can adapt his game for what his body is capable of doing. Here’s to a healthy recovery from knee surgery and hopefully, a few more big time dunks from Richardson in the future.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 2
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 5
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 40
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 39
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11