Feb 6, 2013, 8:46 PM EDT
The race for the 8-seed in the Eastern Conference might be won by whichever team can simply stay healthy. Boston has obviously suffered big blows, but Philadelphia is right there with them. Already missing Thaddeus Young for three weeks because of a hamstring strain and Andrew Bynum for who knows how long, the Sixers received even more bad injury news today on guard Jason Richardson:
Philadelphia has actually played pretty well since Richardson last played in a game, going 4-3 during that period. Still, even with Richardson’s struggles shooting the ball, the Sixers just need capable bodies on the floor given their injury and depth issues. Richardson was averaging 10.5 points a game this year on 40 percent shooting from the field and 34 percent from 3-point land — both near career-lows — but you’d like to think he would have turned it around with more time in a new system.
At 32-years-old with a lot of recorded miles, we’ve probably seen the last of the high flying guard that was one of the league’s most underrated dunkers in his prime. Richardson had evolved his game to become a deadly spot-up shooter over the years, but with his shot abandoning him this year and his athleticism falling off, he struggled to contribute much in 33 starts for the Sixers this season.
Getting surgery to repair torn cartilage in his left knee is a tough break for Richardson, but it’s hard to think it’s the end of the line. Richardson has played in a variety of different systems, and he’s shown he can adapt his game for what his body is capable of doing. Here’s to a healthy recovery from knee surgery and hopefully, a few more big time dunks from Richardson in the future.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 9
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 20
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 12