Kevin Garnett on trade rumors: “I bleed green; I die green.”

Feb 6, 2013, 11:08 AM EDT

Boston Celtics v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

While Kevin Garnett trade rumors seem to fly around everywhere — the latest is Denver was interested in him but he was not in them — it’s not like most trades because KG is a Celtic icon who has a no-trade clause. He can shoot down any deal.

And he doesn’t sound like a guy who wants to be traded. He’ll listen if it comes to that, but Garnett told Boston media, including A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com, not to buy the rumors.

“I bleed green; I die green, that’s what it is,” he said. “But it is a business. If it crosses the path, I’ll deal with it. But trades are a part of this league. Every year, you’re going to hear things.”

But as far as trades involving his name, Garnett said, “If I were y’all, I wouldn’t read too much into it.”

Previous reports suggested KG would only waive his no trade clause under specific circumstances — that Paul Pierce was traded first then KG was sent to a Los Angeles team (likely the Clippers).

Boston has won four games in a row since Rajon Rondo went down, and while you’d be wrong to say they are a better team without Rondo the Celtics have stepped up their energy — their defense has been strong, their ball movement on offense improved. They look like a team that will still make the playoffs and if so a trade of a major cog like Garnett or Paul Pierce is less likely.

Doc Rivers said this is a Celtics team that has been around the league a while and knows how to tune out the distractions of trade rumors.

“When I wake up in the morning and I hear a trade rumor that I haven’t heard in my office, that’s silly and that’s what happens,” Rivers said….

“Fortunately for a lot of our guys, our veterans, they’ve been through the drill so they know,” Rivers said.

Pierce echoed that.

“I never pay too much attention to it,” Pierce said of trade talks. “Whatever happens, happens. Just like in the draft, when I got drafted (lower than expected) it played out just the way it was supposed to. Things like that have no affect on how I perform, how I come to practice, how I’m going to approach each and every day.”

The rumors are not going to stop. Just take the ones with Garnett in them with a few grains of salt.

Latest Posts
  1. Hawks unimpressive, but pull away late for Game 2 win over Wizards

May 5, 2015, 11:04 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptaxzmmwmdk5ywzmmjhkzgq0otk2zwnjmju2mtc4mza4 AP

John Wall was a late scratch, but Washington remained within striking distance for most of the contest.

2. Mike Conley playing Game 2 against Warriors tonight

May 5, 2015, 9:32 PM EDT

Memphis Grizzlies v Golden State Warriors - Game One Getty Images

Grizzlies point guard says foot injury still bothering him

3. John Wall out for Wizards-Hawks Game 2 tonight

May 5, 2015, 7:18 PM EDT

Washington Wizards v Atlanta Hawks - Game One Getty Images

Huge loss for Washington to put it lightly

4. PBT Extra: Will Doc Rivers sit Chris Paul in Game 2?

May 5, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT

Chris Paul AP

The Clippers are playing with house money after Game 1.

5. John Wall, Bradley Beal both expected to play in Game 2 for Wizards vs. Hawks

May 5, 2015, 1:50 PM EDT

NBA Play-offs. Washington Wizards at Toronto Raptors Getty Images

Wall suffered a wrist injury and Beal suffered an ankle injury in Washington’s Game 1 win.

6. Isiah Thomas named president, part-owner of WNBA’s New York Liberty

May 5, 2015, 1:10 PM EDT

Boston Celtics v New York Knicks Getty Images

Thomas cost the Knicks $11.6 million following a sexual harassment lawsuit in 2007, so putting him in charge of a women’s team seems like an odd choice.

7. Blake Griffin put up historically-great numbers in Clippers’ last two victories over Rockets and Spurs

May 5, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Houston Rockets - Game One AP

Griffin became the first player to notch back-to-back playoff triple-doubles since …

8. Report: Spurs may look to trade Tiago Splitter

May 5, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT

2014 NBA Global Games - Berlin Getty Images

San Antonio needs to find ways to create cap space this summer.

9. Report: Bulls management ‘can’t wait to rid itself’ of head coach Tom Thibodeau

May 5, 2015, 11:10 AM EDT

Tom Thibodeau AP

The chatter continues, but what if Chicago makes it to the Finals?

10. Kyrie Irving hits two tough reverse layups in Cavaliers’ Game 1 loss to Bulls (VIDEO)

May 5, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT

Kyrie Irving AP

Kyrie finished with a game-high 30 points, and these were two of his most difficult shots.

Stephen Curry is a different kind of MVP