Kevin Garnett on trade rumors: “I bleed green; I die green.”

Feb 6, 2013, 11:08 AM EDT

Boston Celtics v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

While Kevin Garnett trade rumors seem to fly around everywhere — the latest is Denver was interested in him but he was not in them — it’s not like most trades because KG is a Celtic icon who has a no-trade clause. He can shoot down any deal.

And he doesn’t sound like a guy who wants to be traded. He’ll listen if it comes to that, but Garnett told Boston media, including A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com, not to buy the rumors.

“I bleed green; I die green, that’s what it is,” he said. “But it is a business. If it crosses the path, I’ll deal with it. But trades are a part of this league. Every year, you’re going to hear things.”

But as far as trades involving his name, Garnett said, “If I were y’all, I wouldn’t read too much into it.”

Previous reports suggested KG would only waive his no trade clause under specific circumstances — that Paul Pierce was traded first then KG was sent to a Los Angeles team (likely the Clippers).

Boston has won four games in a row since Rajon Rondo went down, and while you’d be wrong to say they are a better team without Rondo the Celtics have stepped up their energy — their defense has been strong, their ball movement on offense improved. They look like a team that will still make the playoffs and if so a trade of a major cog like Garnett or Paul Pierce is less likely.

Doc Rivers said this is a Celtics team that has been around the league a while and knows how to tune out the distractions of trade rumors.

“When I wake up in the morning and I hear a trade rumor that I haven’t heard in my office, that’s silly and that’s what happens,” Rivers said….

“Fortunately for a lot of our guys, our veterans, they’ve been through the drill so they know,” Rivers said.

Pierce echoed that.

“I never pay too much attention to it,” Pierce said of trade talks. “Whatever happens, happens. Just like in the draft, when I got drafted (lower than expected) it played out just the way it was supposed to. Things like that have no affect on how I perform, how I come to practice, how I’m going to approach each and every day.”

The rumors are not going to stop. Just take the ones with Garnett in them with a few grains of salt.

Latest Posts
  1. Nick Young tells Laker rookies to call him “Daddy Swag”

Sep 18, 2014, 5:51 PM EDT

Nick Young AP

I like the idea of calling him “scrappy feet” better.

2. Report: Timberwolves “optimistic” about Ricky Rubio extension, except nowhere close on money

Sep 18, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT

BKN-NBA-TWOLVES-LAKERS Getty Images

Expect Rubio to be a restricted free agent next summer, and he may not enjoy that experience.

3. 67RIEFNS No. 5: Victor Oladipo playing shooting guard

Sep 18, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT

Orlando Magic v New York Knicks Orlando Magic v New York Knicks

After a year at point guard, Oladipo should thrive for Magic this season

4. Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone

Sep 18, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT

Kevin Durant, Karl Malone Kevin Durant, Karl Malone

Not an expected pairing, but they can relate

5. Gregg Popovich: Heat got overconfident in NBA Finals

Sep 18, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT

LeBron James, Chris Bosh, Dwyane Wade LeBron James, Chris Bosh, Dwyane Wade

Spurs coach seeking sources of motivation so his team won’t repeat the letdown

6. Coach K on those who believed he orchestrated Paul George photo: “You are a bad person’

Sep 18, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT

Team USA Showcase Getty Images

Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski defends himself after Adrian Wojnarowski paints him as opportunistic recruiter

7. Report: NBA sleeved jerseys not selling well

Sep 18, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT

Miami Heat v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

How much longer will NBA keep pushing them?

8. Report: Timberwolves readying to buy out J.J. Barea

Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Minnesota Timberwolves v Los Angeles Clippers Minnesota Timberwolves v Los Angeles Clippers

After signing Glenn Robinson III, Minnesota has too many guaranteed contracts

9. Jordan Crawford signs in China

Sep 18, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Jordan Crawford, Jarrett Jack Jordan Crawford, Jarrett Jack

Last season, Celtics traded Crawford to Warriors, who were unsatisfied with his play

10. Joakim Noah throws better first pitch at Cubs game

Sep 18, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT

Cincinnati Reds v Chicago Cubs Getty Images

Bulls center didn’t fare quite as well at White Sox game

11. Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character”

Sep 18, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Steve Kerr Steve Kerr

“Everybody who knows Danny knows that he’s a good person.” —Steve Kerr on Danny Ferry

12. Bucks sign Micheal Eric

Sep 17, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT

NCAA Basketball Tournament - South Florida v Temple Getty Images

Milwaukee will likely waive former Temple center before season

13. Kings give Ryan Hollins fully guaranteed one-year contract

Sep 17, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT

New Orleans Pelicans v Los Angeles Clippers New Orleans Pelicans v Los Angeles Clippers

Clippers rushed to upgrade from Hollins as backup center, the role Hollins will likely hold in Sacramento

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches