Kevin Garnett on trade rumors: “I bleed green; I die green.”

Feb 6, 2013, 11:08 AM EST

Boston Celtics v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

While Kevin Garnett trade rumors seem to fly around everywhere — the latest is Denver was interested in him but he was not in them — it’s not like most trades because KG is a Celtic icon who has a no-trade clause. He can shoot down any deal.

And he doesn’t sound like a guy who wants to be traded. He’ll listen if it comes to that, but Garnett told Boston media, including A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com, not to buy the rumors.

“I bleed green; I die green, that’s what it is,” he said. “But it is a business. If it crosses the path, I’ll deal with it. But trades are a part of this league. Every year, you’re going to hear things.”

But as far as trades involving his name, Garnett said, “If I were y’all, I wouldn’t read too much into it.”

Previous reports suggested KG would only waive his no trade clause under specific circumstances — that Paul Pierce was traded first then KG was sent to a Los Angeles team (likely the Clippers).

Boston has won four games in a row since Rajon Rondo went down, and while you’d be wrong to say they are a better team without Rondo the Celtics have stepped up their energy — their defense has been strong, their ball movement on offense improved. They look like a team that will still make the playoffs and if so a trade of a major cog like Garnett or Paul Pierce is less likely.

Doc Rivers said this is a Celtics team that has been around the league a while and knows how to tune out the distractions of trade rumors.

“When I wake up in the morning and I hear a trade rumor that I haven’t heard in my office, that’s silly and that’s what happens,” Rivers said….

“Fortunately for a lot of our guys, our veterans, they’ve been through the drill so they know,” Rivers said.

Pierce echoed that.

“I never pay too much attention to it,” Pierce said of trade talks. “Whatever happens, happens. Just like in the draft, when I got drafted (lower than expected) it played out just the way it was supposed to. Things like that have no affect on how I perform, how I come to practice, how I’m going to approach each and every day.”

The rumors are not going to stop. Just take the ones with Garnett in them with a few grains of salt.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Pistons looking into Norris Cole trade

Jan 27, 2015, 11:33 PM EST

Miami Heat v Detroit Pistons Getty Images

Hornets also reportedly had interest in Heat point guard

2. It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest

Jan 27, 2015, 7:23 PM EST

Milwaukee Bucks v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

The best news may be the return to the classic dunk contest format.

3. LaMarcus Aldridge says he’s back for rest of season

Jan 27, 2015, 6:50 PM EST

LaMarcus Aldridge AP

Barring any setbacks with hand injury

4. Paul Pierce on why trash talk is down in league: NBA2K

Jan 27, 2015, 5:15 PM EST

NBA 2K15 promo

My gaming experience suggests you talk a lot of trash to the guy next to you.

5. Wisconsin Governor plans for $220 million in state bonds to help pay for new Milwaukee arena

Jan 27, 2015, 3:30 PM EST

Scott Walker Getty Images

It essentially uses increased jock tax revenue to pay off the bonds.

6. Iman Shumpert mocks his own failed crossover (VIDEO)

Jan 27, 2015, 2:40 PM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v Cleveland Cavaliers Getty Images

Shumpert dribbled it off his foot against the Thunder, then tweeted the clip.

7. Lakers’ players trying to adjust to Byron Scott’s random rotations

Jan 27, 2015, 1:55 PM EST

Byron Scott AP

Players like a routine, a rhythm to games, and the Lakers are chaos theory.

8. Kobe Bryant uses Super Bowl analogy to describe how he feels about season-ending injury

Jan 27, 2015, 12:30 PM EST

Los Angeles Lakers v Houston Rockets Getty Images

This is the third consecutive year Bryant has had his season prematurely ended due to injury.

9. Nets coach Lionel Hollins calls idea he doesn’t like advanced stats ‘dumbest thing I’ve ever heard’

Jan 27, 2015, 11:50 AM EST

San Antonio Spurs v Memphis Grizzlies - Game Three Getty Images

Hollins was reportedly not brought back in Memphis because of an aversion to the use of advanced statistics.

10. UPDATE: Knicks, Langston Galloway agree to contract for this season and next

Jan 27, 2015, 11:10 AM EST

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptzmzwflzdg4ntbmzwflndvmowjizjg2oti2nmy3ztk5-e1422370631910

New York doesn’t want to offer Galloway any guaranteed money for next season.

11. Brian Shaw upset with officiating after not getting a call late in loss to Clippers

Jan 27, 2015, 10:30 AM EST

Brian Shaw AP

Matt Barnes intentionally fouled Danilo Gallinari late, and Shaw believes free throws should have been awarded.

Stephen Curry leads NBA MVP race mid-season