Kevin Garnett on trade rumors: “I bleed green; I die green.”

Feb 6, 2013, 11:08 AM EDT

Boston Celtics v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

While Kevin Garnett trade rumors seem to fly around everywhere — the latest is Denver was interested in him but he was not in them — it’s not like most trades because KG is a Celtic icon who has a no-trade clause. He can shoot down any deal.

And he doesn’t sound like a guy who wants to be traded. He’ll listen if it comes to that, but Garnett told Boston media, including A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com, not to buy the rumors.

“I bleed green; I die green, that’s what it is,” he said. “But it is a business. If it crosses the path, I’ll deal with it. But trades are a part of this league. Every year, you’re going to hear things.”

But as far as trades involving his name, Garnett said, “If I were y’all, I wouldn’t read too much into it.”

Previous reports suggested KG would only waive his no trade clause under specific circumstances — that Paul Pierce was traded first then KG was sent to a Los Angeles team (likely the Clippers).

Boston has won four games in a row since Rajon Rondo went down, and while you’d be wrong to say they are a better team without Rondo the Celtics have stepped up their energy — their defense has been strong, their ball movement on offense improved. They look like a team that will still make the playoffs and if so a trade of a major cog like Garnett or Paul Pierce is less likely.

Doc Rivers said this is a Celtics team that has been around the league a while and knows how to tune out the distractions of trade rumors.

“When I wake up in the morning and I hear a trade rumor that I haven’t heard in my office, that’s silly and that’s what happens,” Rivers said….

“Fortunately for a lot of our guys, our veterans, they’ve been through the drill so they know,” Rivers said.

Pierce echoed that.

“I never pay too much attention to it,” Pierce said of trade talks. “Whatever happens, happens. Just like in the draft, when I got drafted (lower than expected) it played out just the way it was supposed to. Things like that have no affect on how I perform, how I come to practice, how I’m going to approach each and every day.”

The rumors are not going to stop. Just take the ones with Garnett in them with a few grains of salt.

Latest Posts
  1. Blake Griffin among actors for dramatic reading of “Space Jam” (VIDEO)

Apr 18, 2014, 12:56 AM EDT

Monstars space jam

This is exactly what you’ve been waiting for — a dramatic reading of Space Jam including Blake Griffin and D’Andre Jordan.

2. Son tweets Craig Sager has acute leukemia

Apr 17, 2014, 11:18 PM EDT

Indiana Pacers v Miami Heat - Game Five Indiana Pacers v Miami Heat - Game Five

We may not see him on the sidelines of TNT games these playoffs.

3. Report: Joel Anthony opting in with Celtics

Apr 17, 2014, 9:38 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Boston Celtics Getty Images

Center has $3.8 million player option

4. Likely top-10 pick Dante Exum signs with adidas

Apr 17, 2014, 7:05 PM EDT

Essendon Bombers Media Opportunity Getty Images

Adidas rolls the dice on a young guard with potential. Not a bad business plan.

5. Kentucky’s James Young, Duke’s Rodney Hood declare for NBA draft

Apr 17, 2014, 5:57 PM EDT

NCAA Men's Final Four - Championship Getty Images

Both are likely first round picks in the teens or early 20s.

6. The Al Jefferson Effect: Now that the Bobcats are playoff-bound, how they want their big man to help next

Apr 17, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT

Steve Clifford, Cody Zeller, Al Jefferson Steve Clifford, Cody Zeller, Al Jefferson

What affect will Jefferson have on the development of Kemba Walker, Bismack Biyombo, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Cody Zeller?

7. Toronto puts together fantastic playoffs preview video

Apr 17, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT

Timberwolves Raptors Basketball AP

Raptors fans are pumped for the playoffs.

8. Carmelo Anthony: “I want to come back…I also want to win.”

Apr 17, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT

Carmelo Anthony AP

It really comes down to this: Does he trust Phil Jackson and Knicks management to build a winner quickly?

9. LeBron James, Heat top NBA jersey sales again

Apr 17, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT

Brooklyn Nets v Miami Heat Getty Images

You put your money where your heart is, and your heart clearly follows LeBron James and the Heat.

10. The incredible thing about Larry Drew

Apr 17, 2014, 2:11 PM EDT

Larry Drew Larry Drew

Bucks didn’t win back-to-back games all season

11. Kobe tells Lakers’ fans to “flush” last season, has been cleared to run, shoot, prepare for next season

Apr 17, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Kobe may be in France but he still had time to tweet Lakers fans and tell them things will be better next season.

12. Duke’s Jabari Parker says he will enter NBA Draft

Apr 17, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT

Duke v Mercer Getty Images

He is as high on some boards as No. 1, but likely goes No. 3. However no freshman near the top of this board will have a bigger immediate impact in the NBA — his offensive game is NBA ready.

13. Report: Rick Adelman will not return as Timberwolves coach

Apr 17, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT

Rick Adelman Rick Adelman

This both has been expected and is mutual, according to the buzz around the league.

14. Report: Grant Hill not interested in becoming Pistons’ general manager

Apr 17, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT

BBVA Compass Rising Stars Challenge 2014 Getty Images

Hill previously reported to be a candidate for a job

Handing out NBA's postseason awards