Kevin Garnett on trade rumors: “I bleed green; I die green.”

Feb 6, 2013, 11:08 AM EDT

Boston Celtics v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

While Kevin Garnett trade rumors seem to fly around everywhere — the latest is Denver was interested in him but he was not in them — it’s not like most trades because KG is a Celtic icon who has a no-trade clause. He can shoot down any deal.

And he doesn’t sound like a guy who wants to be traded. He’ll listen if it comes to that, but Garnett told Boston media, including A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com, not to buy the rumors.

“I bleed green; I die green, that’s what it is,” he said. “But it is a business. If it crosses the path, I’ll deal with it. But trades are a part of this league. Every year, you’re going to hear things.”

But as far as trades involving his name, Garnett said, “If I were y’all, I wouldn’t read too much into it.”

Previous reports suggested KG would only waive his no trade clause under specific circumstances — that Paul Pierce was traded first then KG was sent to a Los Angeles team (likely the Clippers).

Boston has won four games in a row since Rajon Rondo went down, and while you’d be wrong to say they are a better team without Rondo the Celtics have stepped up their energy — their defense has been strong, their ball movement on offense improved. They look like a team that will still make the playoffs and if so a trade of a major cog like Garnett or Paul Pierce is less likely.

Doc Rivers said this is a Celtics team that has been around the league a while and knows how to tune out the distractions of trade rumors.

“When I wake up in the morning and I hear a trade rumor that I haven’t heard in my office, that’s silly and that’s what happens,” Rivers said….

“Fortunately for a lot of our guys, our veterans, they’ve been through the drill so they know,” Rivers said.

Pierce echoed that.

“I never pay too much attention to it,” Pierce said of trade talks. “Whatever happens, happens. Just like in the draft, when I got drafted (lower than expected) it played out just the way it was supposed to. Things like that have no affect on how I perform, how I come to practice, how I’m going to approach each and every day.”

The rumors are not going to stop. Just take the ones with Garnett in them with a few grains of salt.

Latest Posts
  1. Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach

Jul 24, 2014, 12:19 PM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Boston Celtics Getty Images

Do you think Jim Buss is going to give up his job, step aside for Rivers and put someone in over long-time trusted Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak? Really?

2. Nuggets sign former ACC Player of the Year Erick Green

Jul 24, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT

Nick Covington, Erick Green Nick Covington, Erick Green

Green, drafted No. 46 in 2013, spent a year overseas

3. Josh Huestis’ agent says D-League scheme arranged before NBA draft

Jul 24, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT

Josh Huestis Josh Huestis

Huestis would have accepted arrangement only with Thunder or Spurs, but will the NBA or players union allow it?

4. Isaiah Thomas: ‘I felt very disrespected’ by Kings

Jul 24, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT

Isaiah Thomas, Michael Malone Isaiah Thomas, Michael Malone

Sacramento’s search for a starting-caliber point guard let the one already there leave for Suns

5. Report: Manu Ginobili ‘optimistic’ about playing in World Cup despite Spurs’ wishes

Jul 24, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT

Manu Ginobili Manu Ginobili

San Antonio guard says he won’t represent Argentina if he still feels pain

6. Anthony Bennett breathing much easier after having tonsils out

Jul 24, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v San Antonio Spurs Getty Images

The good news, he did not eat all the ice cream he wanted during his recovery from a tonsillectomy.

7. James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.”

Jul 24, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Houston Rockets Getty Images

Rockets players certainly are giving Parsons plenty of bulletin board material.

8. Testimony ends in Sterling probate trial, closing arguments next week

Jul 23, 2014, 10:59 PM EDT

Shelly Sterling, Donald Sterling Shelly Sterling, Donald Sterling

We know how this movie is going to end, Donald Sterling will lose the Clippers, we just don’t know how we will get there yet.

9. Rockets signing draft picks Clint Capela, Nick Johnson

Jul 23, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT

Houston’s other second rounder, Alessandro Gentile, to remain in Europe

10. Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at

Jul 23, 2014, 8:40 PM EDT

Steve Ballmer Steve Ballmer

If you really want something and you can afford it, why not? But Ballmer overpaid big for the Clips.

11. Report: Celtics moving on from Kevin Love pursuit

Jul 23, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT

Minnesota Timberwolves v Boston Celtics Getty Images

Does this mean Boston will trade Rajon Rondo?

12. Report: Ray Allen to get MRI on knees then decide future plans

Jul 23, 2014, 5:38 PM EDT

2014 NBA Finals - Practice Day And Media Availability Getty Images

If Kevin Love goes to Cleveland does that impact Ray Allen’s decision?

13. Summer League in Las Vegas sets records for attendance, viewership

Jul 23, 2014, 5:09 PM EDT

Wizards Warriors Basketball AP

Numbers show a substantial increase in popularity.

14. Dante Exum knows his leap from high school games to Summer League was not smooth

Jul 23, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT

Dante Exum AP

Exum is a project but he also could be the point guard of the future in Utah.

15. Dwyane Wade says he was asked why he flops by a kid at his basketball camp (VIDEO)

Jul 23, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT

Dwyane Wade Dwyane Wade

“I was about to get him kicked out of the camp,” Wade joked.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches