Kevin Garnett on trade rumors: “I bleed green; I die green.”

Feb 6, 2013, 11:08 AM EST

Boston Celtics v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

While Kevin Garnett trade rumors seem to fly around everywhere — the latest is Denver was interested in him but he was not in them — it’s not like most trades because KG is a Celtic icon who has a no-trade clause. He can shoot down any deal.

And he doesn’t sound like a guy who wants to be traded. He’ll listen if it comes to that, but Garnett told Boston media, including A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com, not to buy the rumors.

“I bleed green; I die green, that’s what it is,” he said. “But it is a business. If it crosses the path, I’ll deal with it. But trades are a part of this league. Every year, you’re going to hear things.”

But as far as trades involving his name, Garnett said, “If I were y’all, I wouldn’t read too much into it.”

Previous reports suggested KG would only waive his no trade clause under specific circumstances — that Paul Pierce was traded first then KG was sent to a Los Angeles team (likely the Clippers).

Boston has won four games in a row since Rajon Rondo went down, and while you’d be wrong to say they are a better team without Rondo the Celtics have stepped up their energy — their defense has been strong, their ball movement on offense improved. They look like a team that will still make the playoffs and if so a trade of a major cog like Garnett or Paul Pierce is less likely.

Doc Rivers said this is a Celtics team that has been around the league a while and knows how to tune out the distractions of trade rumors.

“When I wake up in the morning and I hear a trade rumor that I haven’t heard in my office, that’s silly and that’s what happens,” Rivers said….

“Fortunately for a lot of our guys, our veterans, they’ve been through the drill so they know,” Rivers said.

Pierce echoed that.

“I never pay too much attention to it,” Pierce said of trade talks. “Whatever happens, happens. Just like in the draft, when I got drafted (lower than expected) it played out just the way it was supposed to. Things like that have no affect on how I perform, how I come to practice, how I’m going to approach each and every day.”

The rumors are not going to stop. Just take the ones with Garnett in them with a few grains of salt.

Latest Posts
  1. Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw

Mar 3, 2015, 12:38 PM EST

Brian Shaw AP

Nuggets are 20-39 this season.

2. Matt Barnes says if he was the one who kicked LeBron, league would have tried to put him in jail

Mar 3, 2015, 12:30 PM EST

Los Angeles Clippers v Houston Rockets Getty Images

Barnes isn’t wrong that the punishment for him doing something like this would have been much more severe.

3. J.J. Redick ejected for complaining to officials, says Flip Saunders told him to ‘shut the f— up’

Mar 3, 2015, 11:50 AM EST

J.J. Redick, Scott Twardoski J.J. Redick, Scott Twardoski

Clippers have a reputation with the referees, which likely was why Redick was tossed for seemingly innocuous comments.

4. Kevin Garnett gets into it with Austin Rivers, double technicals issued (VIDEO)

Mar 3, 2015, 10:30 AM EST

Kevin Garnett, Bennett Salvatore AP

KG played for Doc Rivers on the Celtics’ 2008 title team, but wasn’t willing to take any grief from his son.

5. This is one serious basketball brawl from Spanish league (VIDEO)

Mar 3, 2015, 8:30 AM EST

Anadolu Efes Istanbul v Laboral Kutxa Vitoria - Turkish Airlines Euroleague Top 16 Getty Images

That had 10 times the punches of an NBA “fight.”

6. Chris Paul, Ricky Rubio had fun point guard battle Monday (VIDEO)

Mar 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EST

Ricky Rubio, Chris Paul Ricky Rubio, Chris Paul

Ricky Rubio got the triple-double, CP3 will take the win.

7. Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form

Mar 3, 2015, 2:55 AM EST

Goran Dragic Goran Dragic

Goran Dragic would have sat out with back pain against anyone else, but he dropped 21 on the Suns.

8. Zach LaVine was dunking all over the Clippers (VIDEO)

Mar 3, 2015, 1:14 AM EST

Los Angeles Clippers v Minnesota Timberwolves Getty Images

Zach LaVine can get up. But you already knew that.

9. Report: Blake Griffin “likely” to return sometime next week

Mar 2, 2015, 11:15 PM EST

Blake Griffin Blake Griffin

Griffin has missed the Clippers’ last 10 games.

Is Derrick Rose the next Penny Hardaway?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches