Feb 6, 2013, 11:08 AM EDT
While Kevin Garnett trade rumors seem to fly around everywhere — the latest is Denver was interested in him but he was not in them — it’s not like most trades because KG is a Celtic icon who has a no-trade clause. He can shoot down any deal.
And he doesn’t sound like a guy who wants to be traded. He’ll listen if it comes to that, but Garnett told Boston media, including A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com, not to buy the rumors.
“I bleed green; I die green, that’s what it is,” he said. “But it is a business. If it crosses the path, I’ll deal with it. But trades are a part of this league. Every year, you’re going to hear things.”
But as far as trades involving his name, Garnett said, “If I were y’all, I wouldn’t read too much into it.”
Previous reports suggested KG would only waive his no trade clause under specific circumstances — that Paul Pierce was traded first then KG was sent to a Los Angeles team (likely the Clippers).
Boston has won four games in a row since Rajon Rondo went down, and while you’d be wrong to say they are a better team without Rondo the Celtics have stepped up their energy — their defense has been strong, their ball movement on offense improved. They look like a team that will still make the playoffs and if so a trade of a major cog like Garnett or Paul Pierce is less likely.
Doc Rivers said this is a Celtics team that has been around the league a while and knows how to tune out the distractions of trade rumors.
“When I wake up in the morning and I hear a trade rumor that I haven’t heard in my office, that’s silly and that’s what happens,” Rivers said….
“Fortunately for a lot of our guys, our veterans, they’ve been through the drill so they know,” Rivers said.
Pierce echoed that.
“I never pay too much attention to it,” Pierce said of trade talks. “Whatever happens, happens. Just like in the draft, when I got drafted (lower than expected) it played out just the way it was supposed to. Things like that have no affect on how I perform, how I come to practice, how I’m going to approach each and every day.”
The rumors are not going to stop. Just take the ones with Garnett in them with a few grains of salt.
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 13
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 19
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 5
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 38
- PBT Extra: What players will most influence free agency? 1
- PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off 3
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 30
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 22