Feb 6, 2013, 11:08 AM EST
While Kevin Garnett trade rumors seem to fly around everywhere — the latest is Denver was interested in him but he was not in them — it’s not like most trades because KG is a Celtic icon who has a no-trade clause. He can shoot down any deal.
And he doesn’t sound like a guy who wants to be traded. He’ll listen if it comes to that, but Garnett told Boston media, including A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com, not to buy the rumors.
“I bleed green; I die green, that’s what it is,” he said. “But it is a business. If it crosses the path, I’ll deal with it. But trades are a part of this league. Every year, you’re going to hear things.”
But as far as trades involving his name, Garnett said, “If I were y’all, I wouldn’t read too much into it.”
Previous reports suggested KG would only waive his no trade clause under specific circumstances — that Paul Pierce was traded first then KG was sent to a Los Angeles team (likely the Clippers).
Boston has won four games in a row since Rajon Rondo went down, and while you’d be wrong to say they are a better team without Rondo the Celtics have stepped up their energy — their defense has been strong, their ball movement on offense improved. They look like a team that will still make the playoffs and if so a trade of a major cog like Garnett or Paul Pierce is less likely.
Doc Rivers said this is a Celtics team that has been around the league a while and knows how to tune out the distractions of trade rumors.
“When I wake up in the morning and I hear a trade rumor that I haven’t heard in my office, that’s silly and that’s what happens,” Rivers said….
“Fortunately for a lot of our guys, our veterans, they’ve been through the drill so they know,” Rivers said.
Pierce echoed that.
“I never pay too much attention to it,” Pierce said of trade talks. “Whatever happens, happens. Just like in the draft, when I got drafted (lower than expected) it played out just the way it was supposed to. Things like that have no affect on how I perform, how I come to practice, how I’m going to approach each and every day.”
The rumors are not going to stop. Just take the ones with Garnett in them with a few grains of salt.
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 0
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 10
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 9
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 50
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7