Kevin Garnett on trade rumors: “I bleed green; I die green.”

Feb 6, 2013, 11:08 AM EDT

Boston Celtics v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

While Kevin Garnett trade rumors seem to fly around everywhere — the latest is Denver was interested in him but he was not in them — it’s not like most trades because KG is a Celtic icon who has a no-trade clause. He can shoot down any deal.

And he doesn’t sound like a guy who wants to be traded. He’ll listen if it comes to that, but Garnett told Boston media, including A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com, not to buy the rumors.

“I bleed green; I die green, that’s what it is,” he said. “But it is a business. If it crosses the path, I’ll deal with it. But trades are a part of this league. Every year, you’re going to hear things.”

But as far as trades involving his name, Garnett said, “If I were y’all, I wouldn’t read too much into it.”

Previous reports suggested KG would only waive his no trade clause under specific circumstances — that Paul Pierce was traded first then KG was sent to a Los Angeles team (likely the Clippers).

Boston has won four games in a row since Rajon Rondo went down, and while you’d be wrong to say they are a better team without Rondo the Celtics have stepped up their energy — their defense has been strong, their ball movement on offense improved. They look like a team that will still make the playoffs and if so a trade of a major cog like Garnett or Paul Pierce is less likely.

Doc Rivers said this is a Celtics team that has been around the league a while and knows how to tune out the distractions of trade rumors.

“When I wake up in the morning and I hear a trade rumor that I haven’t heard in my office, that’s silly and that’s what happens,” Rivers said….

“Fortunately for a lot of our guys, our veterans, they’ve been through the drill so they know,” Rivers said.

Pierce echoed that.

“I never pay too much attention to it,” Pierce said of trade talks. “Whatever happens, happens. Just like in the draft, when I got drafted (lower than expected) it played out just the way it was supposed to. Things like that have no affect on how I perform, how I come to practice, how I’m going to approach each and every day.”

The rumors are not going to stop. Just take the ones with Garnett in them with a few grains of salt.

1. ironyisadeadscene - Feb 6, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Big fan

2. eugenesaxe - Feb 6, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Can’t stand the guy, but he has always shown loyalty, to the point it cost him possible titles. You have to appreciate that.

• pglive21 - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Loyalty is just one character trait to judge the quality of a person. KG lacks all the other ones.

• Foul Dwimmerlaik - Feb 7, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Same here. Despite the flak he gets regarding other aspects of his personality, you have to appreciate his loyalty.

3. thelakeshow562 - Feb 6, 2013 at 1:21 PM

I’m a mad Laker fan I hate the Celtics but you got up give it up to KG for the fact that he bleed green and dies green when you could go somewhere else like Ray Allen punk @ss for a easy shot at a ring mad props

4. misterchainbluelightning - Feb 6, 2013 at 1:32 PM

KG said the same thing about the T-Wolves at once point.

• andyhr17 - Feb 6, 2013 at 1:48 PM

True, but he also played there for 12 seasons before finally being traded. It’s not like he said he would never leave, and then left via free agency.

• misterchainbluelightning - Feb 6, 2013 at 1:57 PM

It just shows how meaningless statements like these are when make by pro athletes. “Die green?” LOL come on

5. cameltoehoe - Feb 6, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Once again he’s a NMF factor.

6. skids003 - Feb 6, 2013 at 1:53 PM

He means he bleeds green (money), not Celtic green..

7. martysbetter - Feb 6, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Give me a break, Celtics icon? You’re taking a piss if you think Kevin Garnett will be remembered in the same vein as the rest of the Celtics greats – he’s only been here for 6 years.

Frankly, he’s always been my least favorite of this era in Boston, he’s a dirty player and has no respect for the game.

8. paulhargis53 - Feb 6, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Marty: You’re an idiot then. No KG, no banner 17 in the rafters. stick to checkers, that’s more your speed…

• Foul Dwimmerlaik - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:34 AM

I’m with you on this one, paul. No appreciation whatsoever. The Tres Amigos of 2008 is one power trio that came together without much criticism on how they came to be as a group.

• loungefly74 - Feb 7, 2013 at 7:50 AM

that may be true ph…but i still wouldn’t call him a “celtic icon”. paul pierce on the other hand…yes. was he a huge reason for the title? yes…but i guess we will see if his name will be in the rafters, that will be the ultimate factor for icon status. another slant on this: how can Minny’s best player ever be considered a celtic icon?

• andyhr17 - Feb 7, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Lebron James was easily the best to play for the Cavs. Are you saying he can never be an icon for another team?

• loungefly74 - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:17 AM

i think KG played a lot longer in Minny than LBJ did in Cleveland. KG was past/near past his prime when he went to Boston. LBJ was in his prime when he left…and who knows how his legacy will end, the jury is still out. but for KG, we know his body of work.

Let me ask you this….will the Cavs ever hang a “James jersey” in Cleveland?

9. fanofevilempire - Feb 6, 2013 at 2:47 PM

send him to Toronto.

• eugenesaxe - Feb 6, 2013 at 2:56 PM

MINN will want him back once Love leaves.

10. j0esixpack - Feb 6, 2013 at 8:31 PM

KG is in the drivers seat – he earned the no trade clause. If he wants to stay, he’s staying and he’s welcome

No KG, No Banner 17

While it won’t happen, his insistence on staying with Pierce in any trade would ensure a pretty significant ROI for the Celts.

11. tampajoey - Feb 6, 2013 at 11:17 PM

While respecting his awesome talent I hate almost everything about KG. But, I give him props for at least comprehending the existence of loyalty.

12. windycity52 - Feb 6, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Martysbetter, McHale wasn’t a dirty player? lol
    Garnett is one of the greats.

• pglive21 - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Please, KG is going to be remembered for the trash talk and cheap shots he dishes out. It’s disappointing (for him) because it diminishes his impact on the game.

• andyhr17 - Feb 7, 2013 at 8:00 AM

No, people like YOU will remember him for those things you choose to focus on.

• pglive21 - Feb 7, 2013 at 2:13 PM

He brings it on himself. He’s a great player (one of the best in league history) who has a very checkered past. Fans of the game will remember both his play on the court and everything he did to denigrate the game and himself both on and off of it.

13. ron05342 - Feb 6, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Bleeds green, and dies green.

Is he referring to money?

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches