Durant admits he needs to “shut up,” stop getting technicals

Feb 6, 2013, 5:10 PM EDT

San Antonio Spurs v Oklahoma City Thunder - Game Three Getty Images

Kevin Durant has become a complainer — the “nicest guy in the NBA” has joined the superstar trend of complaining about calls to the referees.

And the yapping has cost him — he is tied for the league lead with 9 technicals. The other guys on the list are notorious complainers — Carmelo Anthony, Matt Barnes, Kobe Bryant, DeMarcus Cousins and Blake Griffin.

Durant told the Oklahoman he just needs to stop talking and stop picking up the techs (nod to SLAM for finding this).

“I just got to shut up,” Durant said after picking up his ninth this season Monday night. “I’m racking ‘em up, man. Sometimes I get too excited and voice my opinion when I shouldn’t. I just got to shut up and play the game.”

Durant picked up his ninth tech Monday night for complaining about a call to an official. And he knows better.

“I shouldn’t have got a tech,” Durant said. “I just went up and talked to him and he got me one. But that goes back to the ones I’ve gotten before. I guess they watch and they’re looking for them now. I just got to shut up and play my game and just fight through it.”

The conventional wisdom is that NBA star players get the calls, and there can be some truth to that on specific plays. But they also have the ball in their hands more and also get fouled more often than other players, and they are not all called. Those driven players can be pretty vocal.

But in the end, you’ve got to play through it. KD knows that, he just gets frustrated sometimes. And he’s got to control that and pick his spots.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Russell Westbrook marrying longtime girlfriend this weekend

Aug 27, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT

Russell Westbrook Russell Westbrook

Westbrook and Nina Earl have been together since college.

2. Stephanie Ready to become first full-time female local NBA game color analyst

Aug 27, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT

From twitter.com/StephanieReady From twitter.com/StephanieReady

As an NBA League Pass junkie I’ll tell you why I’m happy — she’s good.

3. Remembering Darryl Dawkins’ 20 greatest dunks (VIDEO)

Aug 27, 2015, 5:51 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwqxntu4mwq2otc2otkyntezmgm0njfmyjexywywmtdk AP

If you’re keeping score at home, there are two shattered backboards on the list.

4. Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58

Aug 27, 2015, 4:25 PM EDT

NBA House - Moynihan Station 2015 Getty Images

Chocolate Thunder remained an ambassador of the game.

5. Report: Ryan Hollins receiving interest from Kings, Wizards, Clippers

Aug 27, 2015, 3:31 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Sacramento Kings Getty Images

He probably will land on a roster somewhere. Eventually.

6. Pelicans pull French center Alexis Ajinca out of EuroBasket

Aug 27, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT

New Orleans Pelicans v Minnesota Timberwolves Getty Images

This is a blow to France, but they remain one of the deepest teams at EuroBasket and one of the favorites.

7. Despite earlier report, Chuck Hayes will not sign with Rockets

Aug 27, 2015, 1:54 PM EDT

Toronto Raptors v New York Knicks Getty Images

Houston’s salary cap picture changed before the deal got inked.

8. Pistons’ Brandon Jennings says when healthy he’s fine with being sixth man

Aug 27, 2015, 11:54 AM EDT

Orlando Magic v Detroit Pistons Getty Images

Stan Van Gundy wants to play Brandon Jennings and Stephen Jackson together at times.

9. Report: Clippers, Glen Davis still talking about potential deal

Aug 27, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Houston Rockets - Game Two Getty Images

At this point in his career Davis is the “break glass in case of emergency” big.

10. LeBron James sells Miami home for cool $13.4 million

Aug 27, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

LeBron James AP

LeBron turned a $4.4 million profit.

11. Report: Derrick Rose being sued by ex-girlfriend alleging rape, drugging

Aug 27, 2015, 12:58 AM EDT

Chicago Bulls V Cleveland Cavaliers - Game Four Getty Images

There is no criminal report filed in this case. Rose nor his attorney have yet to comment on the report or suit.

12. Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era

Aug 26, 2015, 11:25 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers' center Shaquille O'Neal (L) la Getty Images

Was there ever a more Shakespearean NBA drama than Shaq/Kobe?

Top 10 NBA Player Searches