Durant admits he needs to “shut up,” stop getting technicals

Feb 6, 2013, 5:10 PM EDT

San Antonio Spurs v Oklahoma City Thunder - Game Three Getty Images

Kevin Durant has become a complainer — the “nicest guy in the NBA” has joined the superstar trend of complaining about calls to the referees.

And the yapping has cost him — he is tied for the league lead with 9 technicals. The other guys on the list are notorious complainers — Carmelo Anthony, Matt Barnes, Kobe Bryant, DeMarcus Cousins and Blake Griffin.

Durant told the Oklahoman he just needs to stop talking and stop picking up the techs (nod to SLAM for finding this).

“I just got to shut up,” Durant said after picking up his ninth this season Monday night. “I’m racking ‘em up, man. Sometimes I get too excited and voice my opinion when I shouldn’t. I just got to shut up and play the game.”

Durant picked up his ninth tech Monday night for complaining about a call to an official. And he knows better.

“I shouldn’t have got a tech,” Durant said. “I just went up and talked to him and he got me one. But that goes back to the ones I’ve gotten before. I guess they watch and they’re looking for them now. I just got to shut up and play my game and just fight through it.”

The conventional wisdom is that NBA star players get the calls, and there can be some truth to that on specific plays. But they also have the ball in their hands more and also get fouled more often than other players, and they are not all called. Those driven players can be pretty vocal.

But in the end, you’ve got to play through it. KD knows that, he just gets frustrated sometimes. And he’s got to control that and pick his spots.

1. moseskkim - Feb 6, 2013 at 5:42 PM

I thought cousins has 12 so how could durant be tied for the lead league with 9?

• eventhorizon04 - Feb 6, 2013 at 7:32 PM

You’re correct.

Durant is tied for 2nd place. Demarcus is by himself with 12 at the top.

2. steelers4385 - Feb 6, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Or the refs could start doing there jobs.

3. ptestonm - Feb 6, 2013 at 6:23 PM

@moseskkim ok then he’s tied for second most T’s.

4. reasonablemindsays - Feb 6, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Even a nice, humble guy like Durant is falling plague to the wealth of ego gained by playing in the NBA. When you have attractive women and sports fans constantly calling you the best, it’s difficult to not let that get inside your head.

• fanofevilempire - Feb 6, 2013 at 7:27 PM

you had a few too many buddy, Stern had the deputy commish send a memo to the Refs
      to crack down. What Davey boy wants Davey gets.

5. BigBeachBall - Feb 6, 2013 at 7:25 PM

If complaining was a video game, durante would be on level 1 still….

6. miamatt - Feb 6, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Funny that neither LeBron nor Wade are on that list. Goes to show people will believe what they want to believe.

• jolink653 - Feb 7, 2013 at 2:17 PM

That’s because every time someone breathes on Lebron, the refs are sending him to the line, so he doesn’t have anything to complain about

7. ocon171 - Feb 6, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Miamatt- You beat me to it. How could you possibly leave those 2 off the list? They complain constantly.

• mazblast - Feb 6, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Yes, but you can bet that The Troll has had his henchmen have a word or two with the refs about this. “We’re not saying you shouldn’t give these guys a technical, but remember, what games you get, whether you get to work the post-season, whether your contract is renewed, all depends on your grades, and remember who assigns the grades.”

8. tampajoey - Feb 6, 2013 at 11:12 PM

I still don’t hate him as much as Kevin Garnett

9. tampajoey - Feb 6, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Speaking of complainers I don’t understand how Kurt can leave Kevin Garnett off his list.

Wizards playing spoiler in East