Feb 6, 2013, 5:10 PM EDT
Kevin Durant has become a complainer — the “nicest guy in the NBA” has joined the superstar trend of complaining about calls to the referees.
And the yapping has cost him — he is tied for the league lead with 9 technicals. The other guys on the list are notorious complainers — Carmelo Anthony, Matt Barnes, Kobe Bryant, DeMarcus Cousins and Blake Griffin.
Durant told the Oklahoman he just needs to stop talking and stop picking up the techs (nod to SLAM for finding this).
“I just got to shut up,” Durant said after picking up his ninth this season Monday night. “I’m racking ‘em up, man. Sometimes I get too excited and voice my opinion when I shouldn’t. I just got to shut up and play the game.”
Durant picked up his ninth tech Monday night for complaining about a call to an official. And he knows better.
“I shouldn’t have got a tech,” Durant said. “I just went up and talked to him and he got me one. But that goes back to the ones I’ve gotten before. I guess they watch and they’re looking for them now. I just got to shut up and play my game and just fight through it.”
The conventional wisdom is that NBA star players get the calls, and there can be some truth to that on specific plays. But they also have the ball in their hands more and also get fouled more often than other players, and they are not all called. Those driven players can be pretty vocal.
But in the end, you’ve got to play through it. KD knows that, he just gets frustrated sometimes. And he’s got to control that and pick his spots.
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 7
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 2
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 22
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 6