Feb 6, 2013, 5:10 PM EDT
Kevin Durant has become a complainer — the “nicest guy in the NBA” has joined the superstar trend of complaining about calls to the referees.
And the yapping has cost him — he is tied for the league lead with 9 technicals. The other guys on the list are notorious complainers — Carmelo Anthony, Matt Barnes, Kobe Bryant, DeMarcus Cousins and Blake Griffin.
Durant told the Oklahoman he just needs to stop talking and stop picking up the techs (nod to SLAM for finding this).
“I just got to shut up,” Durant said after picking up his ninth this season Monday night. “I’m racking ‘em up, man. Sometimes I get too excited and voice my opinion when I shouldn’t. I just got to shut up and play the game.”
Durant picked up his ninth tech Monday night for complaining about a call to an official. And he knows better.
“I shouldn’t have got a tech,” Durant said. “I just went up and talked to him and he got me one. But that goes back to the ones I’ve gotten before. I guess they watch and they’re looking for them now. I just got to shut up and play my game and just fight through it.”
The conventional wisdom is that NBA star players get the calls, and there can be some truth to that on specific plays. But they also have the ball in their hands more and also get fouled more often than other players, and they are not all called. Those driven players can be pretty vocal.
But in the end, you’ve got to play through it. KD knows that, he just gets frustrated sometimes. And he’s got to control that and pick his spots.
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 2
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 1
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 52
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 6
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 2
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6