Feb 6, 2013, 6:36 PM EDT
Time to celebrate Toronto, Andrea Bargnani is back.
Okay, maybe not celebrate. But if the Raptors have any chance of trading him at the deadline — and there isn’t that much of a chance, people have seen him play — they need to get him on the court and remind teams of what Bargnani can do.
So it’s good news that Bargnani will be back Wednesday night for the Raptors as they take on the Celtics, the return confirmed in a tweet by Ryan Wolstat of the Toronto Sun.
Bargnani went down Dec. 10 with a torn ligament in his right elbow. The Raptors were 4-18 when he got injured and have gone 13-13 in his absence. Draw your own conclusions, although they are pretty obvious. While there were scheduling and other factors in there, the fact is Bargnani was scoring 16 points a night but needing 15.2 shots a game to get there — 39.8% percent shooting overall and 31.9% from three. His PER this season is 12.4. He was not good.
The Raptors would love to move him at the trade deadline and are willing to take a rack of shootaround basketballs, some ankle tape and whatever else you have for him. But to move him they are going to have to play him.
If Bargnani is not moved by the deadline it will be interesting to see what coach Dwane Casey does with him. But we are not there.
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 0
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 10
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 12
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 6
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 47
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17
- Phil Jackson is optimistic about Knicks coming season, except the start 7