What did Cousins say to get ejected? Called ref “effing female.”

Feb 5, 2013, 9:43 AM EDT

Andrew Bogut, James Capers, DeMarcus Cousins AP

DeMarcus Cousins was ejected from another game Monday night.

Cousins picked up his first technical with 2:33 left in the first half and he didn’t think the call was fair. He wanted to talk to the officials about it. Cousins picks up the story there, speaking after the game as reported by NBA.com.

“Before that [the officials] tell us if you have a problem with them, come talk to them. They give us permission to do that. I tried to wait until the play was over. I waited until the play stopped. I went up to the ref. He kept telling me, ‘Don’t talk to me, don’t talk to me, I don’t want to talk to you.’ So I waited until halftime. He said the same thing. He was saying, ‘Don’t talk to me.’ So my response was, ‘You don’t have to act like an effing female.’ I shouldn’t have said that. That’s about it.”

Yup, shouldn’t have said that.

As noted last night, this is vintage Cousins. As he has said before himself, when he feels he has been wronged he can’t just let something go, he can’t walk away, he feels that he needs to be talk about it. And in that zeal he loses track of the bigger picture — his teammates, the game, everything. It’s a threshold of maturity Cousins has yet to pass.

Cousins has not learned to pick his battles. There are times to walk away… like when the referee says, “’Don’t talk to me, don’t talk to me, I don’t want to talk to you” for example. The Kings were in a tight game with the Jazz that they ended up losing in overtime. You think the Kings could have used their best player on the court after halftime?

But it’s Cousins, and this is where he is right now.

Latest Posts
  1. Draymond Green launches “It’s cool Glen” line of T-shirts in latest banter between him, Doc Rivers

Mar 27, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT

b2644bf0-d4c9-11e4-bb85-27743e449672_csg

The battle between Green and Doc Rivers continues in the funniest of ways.

2. Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’

Mar 27, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Cleveland Cavaliers - Game 1 Getty Images

Blatt knows James is unlikely to get the league-wide award this season.

3. No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble.

Mar 27, 2015, 6:12 PM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Denver Nuggets Oklahoma City Thunder v Denver Nuggets

The Thunder defense has become a mess, which is bad for the playoffs.

4. Report: UNLV freshman guard Rashad Vaughn to enter NBA draft; Vaughn denies it

Mar 27, 2015, 4:32 PM EDT

San Jose State v UNLV Getty Images

He is likely a middle second round pick if he comes out.

5. Blake Griffin nails impression of Austin Rivers (VIDEO)

Mar 27, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v New York Knicks Getty Images

It’s pretty spot on. And cold-blooded.

6. Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs

Mar 27, 2015, 3:09 PM EDT

Kevin Durant Kevin Durant

He should be back next season, the final one of this contract with Oklahoma City.

7. High praise: Bob Cousy says Hassan Whiteside reminds him of Bill Russell

Mar 27, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT

Boston Celtics v Miami Heat Boston Celtics v Miami Heat

Cousey said not Shaq, not Ewing, nobody reminded him of Russell like Whiteside.

8. Report: Salary cap could rise to $105 million in 2017-18

Mar 27, 2015, 11:55 AM EDT

AP Money Found AP

As everyone braces for 2016 spike, another big bump could follow

9. Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push

Mar 27, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT

Goran Dragic, Josh Tiven Goran Dragic, Josh Tiven

LeBron James and a lot of stature are gone, but with the more-modest goal of just making the playoffs, Miami’s new point guard embracing the challenge

10. Anthony Davis made 100 free throws in arena after Rockets loss

Mar 27, 2015, 10:19 AM EDT

Houston Rockets v New Orleans Pelicans Getty Images

Pelicans star missed eight free throws in setback to Houston

11. DeMarcus Cousins has response for fan who tells him to stop complaining about calls

Mar 27, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT

Houston at Sacramento Getty Images

Cousins has gotten better, but he still has yet to hear a foul call he liked.

12. Amar’e Stoudemire on retiring: “There’s a lot of high-level basketball left in me”

Mar 27, 2015, 1:08 AM EDT

Orlando Magic v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

Stoudemire can give a team 15 minutes a night off the bench of quality play.

Where does Steve Nash rank all-time?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches