Feb 5, 2013, 9:43 AM EST
Cousins picked up his first technical with 2:33 left in the first half and he didn’t think the call was fair. He wanted to talk to the officials about it. Cousins picks up the story there, speaking after the game as reported by NBA.com.
“Before that [the officials] tell us if you have a problem with them, come talk to them. They give us permission to do that. I tried to wait until the play was over. I waited until the play stopped. I went up to the ref. He kept telling me, ‘Don’t talk to me, don’t talk to me, I don’t want to talk to you.’ So I waited until halftime. He said the same thing. He was saying, ‘Don’t talk to me.’ So my response was, ‘You don’t have to act like an effing female.’ I shouldn’t have said that. That’s about it.”
Yup, shouldn’t have said that.
As noted last night, this is vintage Cousins. As he has said before himself, when he feels he has been wronged he can’t just let something go, he can’t walk away, he feels that he needs to be talk about it. And in that zeal he loses track of the bigger picture — his teammates, the game, everything. It’s a threshold of maturity Cousins has yet to pass.
Cousins has not learned to pick his battles. There are times to walk away… like when the referee says, “’Don’t talk to me, don’t talk to me, I don’t want to talk to you” for example. The Kings were in a tight game with the Jazz that they ended up losing in overtime. You think the Kings could have used their best player on the court after halftime?
But it’s Cousins, and this is where he is right now.
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 5
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 14
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 10
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36