Feb 5, 2013, 12:29 PM EST
Down two starters, this could be a rough night for the Los Angeles Lakers in Brooklyn. Not sure we’ll see a lot of facilitator Kobe Bryant in this one.
Metta World Peace has been suspended one game by the NBA for throwing a punch that struck Detroit’s Brandon Knight in the jaw when the two teams faced off on Sunday. You can see the video above — Knight was trying to get rebounding position and was pushing with World Peace when the two got tangled up. But then MWP slips in a slight left to the jaw. Not an all-out punch but enough of one after the whistle had blown to get him ejected.
When you saw the video, you knew the suspension was coming. Missing one game costs him about $66,000 in salary. He will be out Tuesday night when the Lakers face the Nets in Brooklyn.
That will mean Pau Gasol starts at center but the Lakers will be lacking depth on the wing (and a good defender) against a quality team from the East that needs some wins.
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 13
- Kevin Durant on idea stars wouldn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘That’s bulls—‘ 27
- Former Warriors coach Mark Jackson meets with Kings GM, DeMarcus Cousins after Tuesday night’s game 19
- PBT’s Tuesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: Grizzlies grind ends Warriors streak 9
- It’s official: Jabari Parker out for the season with torn ACL 20
- Grizzlies snap Warriors’ 16-game winning streak 4
- Report: Chris Mullin doesn’t want to jump in mid-season to coach Kings 3
- Shane Larkin, a second thought as Knicks chase star free agents, trying to find his own way 1