Feb 5, 2013, 12:29 PM EDT
Down two starters, this could be a rough night for the Los Angeles Lakers in Brooklyn. Not sure we’ll see a lot of facilitator Kobe Bryant in this one.
Metta World Peace has been suspended one game by the NBA for throwing a punch that struck Detroit’s Brandon Knight in the jaw when the two teams faced off on Sunday. You can see the video above — Knight was trying to get rebounding position and was pushing with World Peace when the two got tangled up. But then MWP slips in a slight left to the jaw. Not an all-out punch but enough of one after the whistle had blown to get him ejected.
When you saw the video, you knew the suspension was coming. Missing one game costs him about $66,000 in salary. He will be out Tuesday night when the Lakers face the Nets in Brooklyn.
That will mean Pau Gasol starts at center but the Lakers will be lacking depth on the wing (and a good defender) against a quality team from the East that needs some wins.
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 1
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14