Feb 5, 2013, 12:29 PM EDT
Down two starters, this could be a rough night for the Los Angeles Lakers in Brooklyn. Not sure we’ll see a lot of facilitator Kobe Bryant in this one.
Metta World Peace has been suspended one game by the NBA for throwing a punch that struck Detroit’s Brandon Knight in the jaw when the two teams faced off on Sunday. You can see the video above — Knight was trying to get rebounding position and was pushing with World Peace when the two got tangled up. But then MWP slips in a slight left to the jaw. Not an all-out punch but enough of one after the whistle had blown to get him ejected.
When you saw the video, you knew the suspension was coming. Missing one game costs him about $66,000 in salary. He will be out Tuesday night when the Lakers face the Nets in Brooklyn.
That will mean Pau Gasol starts at center but the Lakers will be lacking depth on the wing (and a good defender) against a quality team from the East that needs some wins.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 11
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 11
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 50
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 33
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 11