Feb 5, 2013, 12:29 PM EDT
Down two starters, this could be a rough night for the Los Angeles Lakers in Brooklyn. Not sure we’ll see a lot of facilitator Kobe Bryant in this one.
Metta World Peace has been suspended one game by the NBA for throwing a punch that struck Detroit’s Brandon Knight in the jaw when the two teams faced off on Sunday. You can see the video above — Knight was trying to get rebounding position and was pushing with World Peace when the two got tangled up. But then MWP slips in a slight left to the jaw. Not an all-out punch but enough of one after the whistle had blown to get him ejected.
When you saw the video, you knew the suspension was coming. Missing one game costs him about $66,000 in salary. He will be out Tuesday night when the Lakers face the Nets in Brooklyn.
That will mean Pau Gasol starts at center but the Lakers will be lacking depth on the wing (and a good defender) against a quality team from the East that needs some wins.
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 10
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 26
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 17
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 16